1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I level chapter books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlecurly, Dec 11, 2011.

1. littlecurly

littlecurly New commenter

Hi

HAve just begun teaching upper years. Is there anywhere that tells me what national curriculum level a chapter books is suited to?

I have found extensive lists that level chapter books into levels A - Z but have no idea what a given alphabetical level correlated to in NC levels?

I.e. If I want to find a book for level 4c readers where can I look? Equally if I have a set of chapter books e.g. 'Holes' how do I find approximatelly what level of reader this is suited to?

THanks

2. littlecurly

Hi

HAve just begun teaching upper years. Is there anywhere that tells me what national curriculum level a chapter books is suited to?

I have found extensive lists that level chapter books into levels A - Z but have no idea what a given alphabetical level correlated to in NC levels?

I.e. If I want to find a book for level 4c readers where can I look? Equally if I have a set of chapter books e.g. 'Holes' how do I find approximatelly what level of reader this is suited to?

THanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would let 4c readers choose their own books. For guided reading books (presumably in groups of 6-8 children) I used to send them off in groups of 2-3 to choose the next book. Even now with year 2 I take 2-3 with me to help choose the book. Wouldn't dream of choosing books for them.

In the higher levels, generally children can 'read' any book at all so levelling doesn't really work. The difference between a 4c and a 4a is more in inference and comprehension.

4. littlecurly

Thank you

Get where you are coming from but only gave 4c was only an example.....

I have some 3c readers who struggle to read a number of the more tricky books, need a list so I can get a few suggestions of books and they can choose.

Thanks

5. Well, firstly, levelling a book is not an exact science. After all, no author sets out to write a level 4 book or a level 5 book. However, if you look on the QCA standadrds site (as was) you can see exemplar reading material for different levels.
    In addition some publishers are now issuing "banded" book sets, which you can easily match to a National Curriculum level. I've recently ordered sets from Badger publishers who sell boxes of colour banded books. these probably don't go up to the level you are teaching but there are other publsihers doing the same. I have a catalogue I've got at work and post back tomorrow.
    You could also look at publishers age guidance, so for example a book aimed at 9-11 year olds could be assumed to be appropriate reading material for children working at Level 4. Your Level 5 readers might still enjoy the same book but also enjoy fiction aimed at older readers. As I said, it's not an exact science!

6. Just seen your second post, the Badger book band sets would match the levels of your Level 3 readers.

7. littlecurly

Thanks guys,

Look forward to your post tomorrow.