1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I know?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Geographyteacher939, May 10, 2019.

1. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

How will I know?

Just trust your feelings ...

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Many decent schools will fly you out for an interview, so you'll get a chance to visit, speak to staff and students, and judge for yourselves. I imagine this isn't the case for some school more than 4 or 5 time zones away though.

Also, facebook groups can be a good place to research - find an expats group for the area that the school is in and post a few questions there about the school you are interested in.

Good luck.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I've never known a school do this, apart from for SLT roles.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Me either.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I know of a school in Far East Asia that does this for all teachers who have been short listed for an interview.

6. tica

tica New commenter

I have to disagree with the first item on your list. Many of the best Latin American schools are almost exclusively 'local' students with a percentage of foreign nationals. There are not the huge expat communities you find in the ME or China but in my experience they are great places to work with some of the best students I've worked with.
    I've also heard some horror stories about a Dubai school that has a large percentage of UK students so the make up of the school population can be misleading.

miketribe likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Been flown over to the country 3 times for interviews. All were standard teaching roles in large well known schools. All were over ten years ago though, when, although there was Skype, it wasn't as used for interviews so widely.

Last job hunting round all interviews were Skype.

8. SnorkelingTeacher03

SnorkelingTeacher03 New commenter

ejclibrarian,

Does your school happen to give the same package to both local and overseas hires? I tried to start a private conversation with you, but it seems as if I don't have the ability to do that right now.

Thanks

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I'll send you a message.

10. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Maybe it's more of a Europe thing then - I've been flown to Germany, the Netherlands and Spain for interviews, all for standard teaching jobs. Though other posters seem to think it happens beyond Europe too.

11. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

In my limited experience some of the better schools still want to meet candidates for teaching roles in person. Shortlist of two or three. They want to see candidates teach a lesson. Certainly not the norm though.

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I would change one of blueskydreaming's comments to "schools that want you to live on site without offering a useable housing allowance as an alternative." There's nothing wrong with being on site, and in some locations it has its advantages, but you need to have the flexibility to live elsewhere if you want to.

13. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

You know nothing, Jon Snow ;-)

14. 576

576 Established commenter

My last school did, most of our staff were recruited from the UK so the heads fly to London in February each year for face to face interviews.