1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I know?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Geographyteacher939, May 10, 2019.

1. Geographyteacher939

Geographyteacher939 New commenter

Hi all

Thinking about making the jump overseas in a couple of years. After doing some reading, it is clear that there are some schools that I should try to avoid. What are the things to look out for? Is there a site that gives information on what it is like to work for these schools? I'm concerned that I would make the jump and end up at a school that isn't great.

Thanks

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Pay for subscription to the International Schools Review for a good start, about 30USD.

afterdark and blueskydreaming like this.
  3. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

This. Although my current school was not on it at the time. It certainly is now.

Also keep your eye on the overseas job advertisements. You quickly get a feel for schools that have a high turnover of staff and are always advertising.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Dodgy and outdated school websites tell me a lot.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Look out for schools that have a very high percentage of local students (or 100% locals).

Schools that only offer flights at the beginning and end of contract.

Schools that offer far fewer benefits than similar schools in the same area.

Schools that want you to live on site.

Schools that don't give 100% medical cover.

mermy and T0nyGT like this.
  6. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Any school with the word ”Bilingual ” in its title. Here in China many of the new bilingual schools have an expensive English rent-a-name but the real name is written in Chinese below.

mahipaul likes this.
  8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This is a good list

9. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Dear OP

In my experience, if you have excellent references and work in a good school, you could find yourself in a decent environment. You'd no doubt come on here and wonder why everyone is complaining. If your references are weak, you have had time out of work or a multitude of short term posts you may find yourself needing to work your way up the ladder.

The challenges faced on the bottom rungs are here for all to see. There are equally a lot of poor teachers hiding overseas and wherever you land you need to impress to move up in the world. Ask yourself, am i the type who is independent and can adapt to problems or do I cave in and moan when problems arise. If the latter, stay in the UK.

10. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

But it’s a bit centered on some regions. Flights at the end of the contract only are the norm in Western Europe. In all of Western Europe, the national health service is more than adequate so private provision is often not offered.

11. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

In all honesty you don't. Some start their international career working for one of the worst group in SE Asia. Brilliant, polite and g&t students, facilities were outstanding but the group was money driven and had fairly evident and dodgy practices. Nothing was written in ISR probably because no one bothered and everyone moved to bigger and better things.

As a newbie on the circuit it is wise to do your research. But at the same time don't be too picky because you have applicants who have been around the block looking for the same rosy patch of grass and wonderful rainbows.

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Length of contract is a good indicator. Loads of schools in Spain offer 10 month contracts. These are definitely ones to avoid

13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Just thought of this, while its not really an indicator of a good or bad school, you do however want to look at the number of contact and non contact days in a contract. From my experience 180 contact days is average. I know of schools in China that have 200 days. That means you are working 4 extra weeks above the average.

14. SnorkelingTeacher03

SnorkelingTeacher03 New commenter

This is a good point. The school I'm at in Taiwan has over 200 days

15. miketribe

Dropping cryptic clues about the school on this forum can also get results....

mahipaul likes this.
  16. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

That's crazy. Which school are you working in? I'm in Taipei at the split campus school.

17. SnorkelingTeacher03

SnorkelingTeacher03 New commenter

I'm also in Taipei.

I'm at what my wife tells me the Taiwanese refer to as the "Royal School".

18. miketribe

Like I said, “cryptic clues”!

19. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

That's a new one on me! I'll have to ask my colleagues if they know which school that is :)

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There has already been some very good advice given on this thread, so I am not sure that I have much (if anything) to contribute. Yes, of course it is true that some so-called "international schools" are pretty blooming awful places in which to be a teacher. I should know, as I had the misfortune to work in some of them! However, this smelly old hippo is a firm believer in "roundabouts and swings", so there is no such thing as the "perfect" school and all of them will have some positive aspects and some things that you won't like.