1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I know which recruiter to trust?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sciencebillingual, Feb 14, 2019.

1. sciencebillingual

sciencebillingual New commenter

Hi

I have received few interests from a different teaching recruitment agency how do I know which are legit?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Search Associates, ISS, Schrole, Carney Sandoe are some of the big ones.
    There are innumerable others. Ask on here about specific names. They aren’t schools, so I believe names can be mentioned.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Search Associates are pretty good. I have also heard some positive things about Andrew Wigford's TIC. The other ones? Not so sure. Some of them seem to be a bit dishonest.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

you dont need an agency, you can apply direct to schools. the IB has a list of all its schools on its website and you can filter country and region within those countries if needed. if you are wondering, the IB has a lot more schools than the British system, therefore more chance of being employed.

google is also useful

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Even with Search Associates you need to know the different levels of schools they allow to use their services. The first level of school SA will directly recruit staff required for them, the second order are the schools that attend the job fairs. IF SA has nothing to do with a school, I would definitely not work their. Unfortunately SA has to compete with the other employment agencies out in the market place.

6. gulfgolf

SA will directly recruit for any of their schools willing to pay for the privilege. It's not a sign of a better school, just of one with more money than time.
    I agree with you about schools that aren't allowed to work with Search at all - definitely a bad sign.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. the hippo

As a previous poster has already noted, you might not need a recruitment agency. Why not look on a website called "The Times Educational Supplement"? (It is called "TES" for short). On this website, you will often find some international job vacancies advertised. Sometimes there are a lot of job adverts. You can email the schools directly and send them your CV (or your resume, if you are an American).

Laughing Gravy and nomad like this.
  8. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

I agree with the Hippo. Some of the best schools, mine included, do not need an agent because they are able to fill all posts using TES, so there is no need for them to pay an agent's fee.

nomad likes this.
  9. MinusNothing

MinusNothing New commenter

Sorry, i don't get what you mean by this. SA only works with a handful of schools. Are you saying - if they aren't listed on the SA site, then you wouldn't work at that school?

BTW It's a genuine Q I'm not picking on yer spellingz.

nomad likes this.
  10. february31st

Just check the list of school in Kuwait on the ISR and cross reference them with the schools in Kuwait on the SA site, then you may get what I mean.

11. the hippo

Hooray! Somebody agrees with me. This has never happened before.

12. masty88

masty88 New commenter

I disagree!

T0nyGT likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As a head of two different schools overseas (one in Kuwait and one in Jakarta) and despite being constantly badgered by SA I would not use them.

Not because they were no good, but because I had no trouble doing my own recruiting of excellent staff.

Not for nothing are the SA recruitment fairs known as "cattle markets" with interviews taking place in hotel bedrooms! (Fact, not innuendo).

14. the hippo

No one said that the services of Search Associates are cheap, nomad, and yes, a SA jobfair can be a bit like a cattle market. But surely this accusation could also be made about other jobfairs as well?

Whenever I have spoken to principals about recruiting, they have told me that it can often be a tiring, frustrating and time-consuming business. You say that you have "no trouble", but I think that you and your schools are the exception and not the rule.

15. gulfgolf

And in Q8 no less. This is hard to fathom, unless “no trouble” means “willing to hire anyone”. I’ve hired for great schools in hard places, as well as iffy schools in great places. It is easier by far to hire for an iffy school in a great location.
    As soon as you say Kuwait, Uganda, Venezuela... huge swaths of teachers walk the other way. No matter how awesome the school.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not at all, if the school is a British Curriculum school, catering for the children of British expatriates, supported by the British Embassy, having a DfE Accreditation Number, offering free UK based CPD, etc., etc.

17. gone east

gone east New commenter

Its not so much the agency but the schools they represent... There is no agency that only represents non-dodgy schools. Its the school that employs you and sets the T&C which they will honour (or not)!

18. february31st

It is very interesting to read 2-300CVs as it gives you a great insight into the trends going on in international education. The rise in the number of candidates with iPGCE/PGCEi is alarming to say the least and the number of teachers not completing their UK NQT/Induction must be hitting 50%.

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Some recruiters, if they discover that a school they have been representing mistreats teachers, will decline to represent that school in the future. There was a famous instance when one of Search's senior Associates intervened personally to rescue a teacher stranded overseas after being summarily dismissed. I mentioned this case only a few days ago and the thread immediately disappeared. Frankly, I am surprised that this one has lasted as long as it has.

20. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Circumstances and opportunities for further education and pursuing a meaningful career are limited when one is already overseas, has built a life, has a family and would like to move beyond their current role. Personally, I had no option to go to the UK, leave my husband and children and take a couple years out to do all that. And so far, I have proven my abilities and schools have hired me. I may get a bit more scrutiny because of the "i" and no NQT year. I have done demo lessons as part of the interview. I'm happy with that, it's better than a Skype interview. The school sees me in action and that's better for everyone concerned. I've worked with "perfect on paper" teachers who crash and burn or just plain don't fit in once in they're in their role. A lot of hiring is taking a leap of faith for all parties.