1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I know when it's best to go?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by midgey, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Try looking up phased retirement, might be worth thinking about.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm sure your pension is protected until you are sixty and you can go then on a full pension. People under the age of 52 will see changes to their pension. Check out your union website.

3. Don't feel pressured into retiring before you want to. If redundancies are threatened it may be worth hanging on as if they force you to go then they MAY enhance your pension. Phased retirement could be a good option. Any changes to the pensions would have to protect your current situation for a while at least so you'd have time to act if changes came. It sounds to me as if you aren't ready to go yet and would only do so because someone else is sugggesting you should. Do your own research. I wouldn't rush into any meeting with the head at this point if I were you.

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Thanks for that Colin - come to that I suppose I could have read it myself, but then I wasn't giving advice[​IMG]
    Happy Christmas

5. Colin is spot on about staffroom "experts." Don't listen to them. Not only should you use the TPS website but I found this forum was useful in comparing notes with others in the same position.