1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I inspire children to write creatively??

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mobile2, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am a NQT in Yr3 and I am struggling to find ways to inspire my chn to write creatively using interesting adjectives. Please could anyone tell me how I can inspire them?? I have been given ideas to use Art in my Literacy lessons? But how?
    I want to do a lesson or two on just inspirational writing (by doing something different) so I can get them to use those adjectives? However, I am not sure what I can do in those 2 lessons? Maybe an activity where that they can touch, smell, feel etc.
    All ideas welcome,
    thanks all

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Hey, just wanted to say you may get more response posting this in the "primary" forum rather than here as a) a lot more people visit there and b) some of them have far more experience than NQTs so there's bound to be more ideas!
    I think the biggest thing is to give them an experience of some kind before you get them writing - just saying "go write a story using describing words" will not, as I'm sure you know, produce the best writing possible. Take them outside to the forest (or wherever), get them to think about what they can see, hear, smell, feel etc and brainstorm words. HTH. x

3. Hi
    I'm secondary English but I think this could work with primary. Start by giving them large pieces of paper with words like 'big' 'small' 'ugly' etc on and ask the pupils to work in groups to think of more interesting words for these. Get the pupils to write the words all around the paper and then stick them up during the writing activity so everyone can see what each group did.
    Show the pupils pictures and first ask them to write a 'boring' sentence about the picture. My Y7s love when I ask them to do this so for example last week I showed them a picture of a pirate ship and they said 'The boat is in the sea' and I went around the room taking random 'wow words' from pupils until we built a descriptive paragraph. Then I showed them a different picture and asked them to write their own paragraph for it.
    Hope that makes sense!

Sam