1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I increase subject knowledge for the GTP?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ash_dhanda, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi There, I hope to get accepted for the Primary GTP starting Sept 2011, one of the applications I need to complete is asking what level of suject knowledge I have and which areas I would need to develop.
    I'm a little concerned about this as although I have all my GCSEs with good grades, this was a while ago now and my first degree was in Marketing Management... since then I haven't done anything else specifically to contribute to my subject knowledge. I am spending a day a week as classroom support so do have exposure to what is taught and how, but not sure this is the level the training providers are after?? Is there anything else I should or could be doing?
    Also, how would i demonstrate my level of knowledge in an application? I'm looking to train in KS1.
    I'm just so aware of the competition in this area and don't want to miss out for September without having tried everything.
    Any support and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Hi There, I hope to get accepted for the Primary GTP starting Sept 2011, one of the applications I need to complete is asking what level of suject knowledge I have and which areas I would need to develop.
    I'm a little concerned about this as although I have all my GCSEs with good grades, this was a while ago now and my first degree was in Marketing Management... since then I haven't done anything else specifically to contribute to my subject knowledge. I am spending a day a week as classroom support so do have exposure to what is taught and how, but not sure this is the level the training providers are after?? Is there anything else I should or could be doing?
    Also, how would i demonstrate my level of knowledge in an application? I'm looking to train in KS1.
    I'm just so aware of the competition in this area and don't want to miss out for September without having tried everything.
    Any support and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

It sounds a bit trite and obvious, but I would have a read through the National Curriculum. In its slimmed-down form it isn't as intimidating as it once was, and if I had a candidate for interview who could talk knowledgeably about it, I think that would give them an edge.
    Also, the fact that you are asking at all says something about you...many would just cross their fingers.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice about looking at the National Curriculum.
    The point about teaching Primary is that one has to teach all subjects, so you need a good all-round knowledge.They ask for subject knowledge to prove this, so a good selection of GCSEs are adequate for Primary level, A levels better & some further subject knowledge either to provide expertise for your future colleagues or to prove you can push yourself in one area in which you are interested.