1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I impress you?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Veruka, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Veruka

Veruka New commenter

I am a mature age, recently graduated secondary college teacher. I intend to work as casual relief teacher (supply teacher??) this year with the view of obtaining experience and a permanent position.
    What sort of things impress positively on other teachers? What can I do to be noticed and to be valued? And invited back?

2. Veruka

Veruka New commenter

I am a mature age, recently graduated secondary college teacher. I intend to work as casual relief teacher (supply teacher??) this year with the view of obtaining experience and a permanent position.
    What sort of things impress positively on other teachers? What can I do to be noticed and to be valued? And invited back?

3. Follow the plans left for you.
    Mark the books, check the marking of the teacher and try to do the same style.
    Deal with behaviour issues using the school policy and common sense.
    Leave a note for the teacher saying what you enjoyed about the day/class.
    Keep up to date by attending training days that are run at schools you go to - mostly it won't cost the school anything extra and will impress that you're keen to stay up to speed.
    Turn up before 8.45
    Leave the classroom tidy and be friendly and polite to any staff you meet.
    Have a few things up your sleeve for emergencies - a supply colleague I work with has a guitar - the children love it and I know the school are keen to hang on to her as she's so keen!