1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How do I hurry up the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilyisobel, Feb 5, 2012.

  1. I need some advice please.
    I've had a problem with my right shoulder/ arm since last June.
    It started with pain and pins and needles in my right arm and my hand sometimes becoming a bit purplish. I've had an MRI on my neck and brain and ruled out a prolapsed disc in my neck and MS.
    My GP eventually referred me to a rheumatologist and I had an x-ray in December and a CT without a contrast in January which ruled out any bone deformity.
    About 3 weeks ago something went clunk in my shoulder and since then I've been getting worsening blood supply problems to my arm. Sometimes the hand goes white and cold, sometimes really blue and sometimes dark red with popping veins. I've been back to my GP a couple of times and they have written to try and bring my consultant appointment forward. I've also been to A&E but they aren't that interested unless I can't find a position where the blood supply to my hand doesn't come back. As I live an hour away from the hospital this seems a bit scary.
    At the moment the symptoms are getting worse by the day and I'm getting a lot of pain at the front of my shoulder and under my armpit. I've been in constant pain since June. I don't really know what to do with myself and I'm losing all confidence in the NHS.
    What can I do?
  2. lilachardy

    lilachardy Star commenter

    Phone the consultant's secretary and say you are anxious to be seen as soon as possible.
    1) Can you give me an indication, please, of how long the wait is
    2) Do you have a list of people who can come at short notice if you have a cancellation?

  3. NellyFUF

    NellyFUF Lead commenter

    Have you been to A and E since the clunk three weeks ago.
    I would go back to A and E and say I had fallen and was in agony now. And suffering from anxiety attack too. And then stay there until admitted for more tests. It is probably something quite simple to fix and you need help now, not when your arm drops off!
  4. Thanks - I was told by A&E that my GP had to do it. They wrote 2 weeks ago and haven't had a reply. I'm going back to the GP tomorrow as I'm getting scared with the deterioration. I can't write, lift a kettle or even stand upright for more than a few minutes. After doing break duty the other day I looked at mind hand and realised that it was dark blue!
  5. I would also like the NHS to hurry up! I have been waiting for 4 years to have a painful (but not harmful) 'growth' removed because they have one doctor at the surgery who does minor ops and he rarely does them. I remind them of it each time I go. Is there any reason I can't be seen at the hospital and have it done? It really is quite sore.
  6. I went to A&E after it happened - they basically said that unless the blood supply stayed off that it wasn't an emergency. Even after he poked my armpit and I disolved in tears because of the pain.
  7. bombaysapphire

    bombaysapphire Star commenter

    http://www.benenden.org.uk/personal-healthcare?partner=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_term=benenden%20-e&CODE=BRAND Teachers can join the above for top up health cover. It is a bit late for you E.I. you have to be a member for 6 months first but it could be useful for the future.
    If the NHS are being slow or giving you inadequate treatment then these would offer you private healthcare. My parents were members for years. They didn't use it often but when they did they were very impressed with the service.
  8. sparkleghirl

    sparkleghirl Star commenter

    I'd be tempted to go to A&E, better if you can do it while it's actually discoloured, and tell them you have no feeling in it.
  9. jonkers

    jonkers New commenter

    I agree with this excellent advice. Phone the hospital tomorrow and ask for Mr/Doctor's secretary's number then 'phone them. It is worth saying something along the lines of "Mr Jones said that if there was a significant deterioation in my condition he would like to see me as soon as possible" She/he shouldn't argue, the doctor won't remember and you should be seen soon.
    The cancellation idea also works well as long as you genuinely can drop everything at short notice to go to the hospital.
    I do voluntary work as a patients advocate so am used to moving things forward so that people who are unable to speak up for themselves still get the service that the rest of us take for granted.
  10. By the time I've been sitting around and waiting the blood supply comes back so it looks like I'm making it up.
    I'll try ringing tomorrow.
  11. Dunteachin

    Dunteachin Star commenter

    Why not take photos of the various stages, so that you have hard evidence when you go to your appointment?
  12. anon8315

    anon8315 Established commenter

    Glad it isn't just me who is waiting, waiting for the NHS!
  13. Could you pay to see the consultant? Means you have longer to talk to him and may get you up the list when he realises how bad things are for you.
  14. Yes, it might work, I'm taking my husband in with me as well next appointment - I'm worried as an aneurysm can cause the symptoms I'm getting.
  15. I haven't got the money to do so.
  16. jonkers

    jonkers New commenter

    That would be £120 - £150 depending on you are in the country and how much private work your consultant does.
  17. lilachardy

    lilachardy Star commenter

    Don't believe a private consultation will be sooner or last longer.
    I waited twice as long for a private consultation as my friend did on the NHS, and I was in there for 5 minutes compared to her 45 minutes.
    Now clearly our reasons to be there are different but it was the same kind of consultation with the same outcome!
    Just a warning.
  18. How do you find out about private consultations? There doesn't seem to be any info available in my area.
  19. lilachardy

    lilachardy Star commenter

    I asked my GP.
  20. I'll try that as well - thank you [​IMG]

Share This Page