1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I go?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by upsydaisy25, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I have posted on the NQT thread about trying to decide whether to stay or quit.:
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/589881.aspx
    How do I go about getting going without slamming the teahing door shut in my face?
    My regional union rep is useless, took ages to get back to me when I contacted him and was really short tempered with me because I wasn't clear on what I wanted.
    What I am looking for is any advice on what I would have to do to leave- If I do it I would need it to be sooner rather than later.
    It is probably not appropriate for me to stay until the end of decemeber as it is very likely that I will fail unduction at my current school.

2. I have posted on the NQT thread about trying to decide whether to stay or quit.:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/589881.aspx
    How do I go about getting going without slamming the teahing door shut in my face?
    My regional union rep is useless, took ages to get back to me when I contacted him and was really short tempered with me because I wasn't clear on what I wanted.
    What I am looking for is any advice on what I would have to do to leave- If I do it I would need it to be sooner rather than later.
    It is probably not appropriate for me to stay until the end of decemeber as it is very likely that I will fail unduction at my current school.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are likely to fail in your current school, then I think you're right to try and quit now, as there are no resits. Supply, as suggested on the other thread, has the advantage that you can take a bit of time to gain confidence and find a school that suits you: it would be awful to find a new post for the NQT third term in a school that turns out to be as bad for you. On the other hand, there's no guarantee of income, so you'd need to know that financially you can cope.
    As you know, you've passed the resignation date to leave before December, but your head has discretion to waive the notice period, so it may well be worth broaching the issue. If they say "but we can't replace you for the start of term", you could offer to stay on or do supply for them in September until they fill the vacancy.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Hmm. Just realised you said that behaviour management is an issue, and you're secondary. That means supply may not be for you. But if you can find something to do to give you time to take stock and make sure you find the right next job, that would be good.

5. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

A difficult one. If you have to stick it out, perhaps request that you get new classes for September. When you have them, start as you mean to go on. Remeber even bad classes will normally give you a honeymoon period at first. Don't be fooled. Keep your expectations very high at first but put them across in a firm and fair but not confrontational way.
    It takes some teachers a while to gain the confidence, experience and assertiveness to manage behaviour well and even then, you will get the odd sh*tty kid or group. Good luck!