1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I go from F.E to primary?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by desertrider, Oct 20, 2015.

1. desertrider

desertrider New commenter

I am currently working as a head of science in a large 6th form college and am rapidly falling out of love with it due to the increasing privatisation of the F.E sector. I have often been interested in making a move to Primary but have never really done more than a cursory investigation. Can any one offer me any sound advice and guidance on how I make the move and any courses/work experience that would make me more employable? I realise that it will not be an easy switch and am under no illusions of the grass being greener. I am fully prepared to invest in training courses or any other strategies that may make my transition easier.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ah...

First question: do you have QTS?

Best wishes

3. desertrider

I am currently going through my professional formation of QTLS which is equivalent to QTS. This will be certificated in February. What next......

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, that's a positive start - I don't have to tell you to go away immediately!

When you have QTLS, then make sure:

• Where an application form asks if you have QTS, you tick Yes
    • When filling in your qualifications, you write February 2016 QTS/QTLS In that order. Some Heads especially in Primary may not, even now after several years, realise that QTLS = QTS
    Now start reading this. In a SFC you can count yourself as secondary.

Moving from secondary to primary

Best wishes

5. desertrider

Thanks Theo

So the advise is either get some experience as in a primary or apply for an independent prep school? The interesting thing is that there is no re-training given. Would it be worthwhile doing an evening class in early years learning or something?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They don't need to offer re-training, the country's awash with already-trained primary teachers.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The advice is to try but not get too hopeful, to be honest. Neither training nor experience . . . you are unlikely to be anyone's first choice, is my view.

As @Middlemarch says, with the exception of the SE and the big cities where the demography of immigrants has caused a sudden influx in Primary pupils, we are still seeing the result of over-training, numbers-wise, of Primary teachers. Just hope you aren't in SW, NE or even NW!

If you can find any course that relates specifically to what you hope to do, then go for it.

What you really really need, of course, is to spend a week in a Primary school so you get a clear and honest picture of what it is like. That might change your mind, it's a big change from what you're used to.

Best wishes

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You need to be considering moving because you want to teach in primary, not because you don't want to teach FE. Teacher shortage or not, you will struggle to get a Primary HT to employ you if you have little experience in a Primary classroom. Could you do supply and gain experience that way?

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Really good point @mandala1. Falling out of love with the privatisation of fe is not going to keep you happy in primary if that is the dominant reason. The fact you mention only this leaves me a little worried