1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get started?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 16, 2018.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Here's my idea.

I do 1-to-1 tutoring in my house. Parents are welcome to sit in my living room. I'd like that. Nobody could later allege I'd "done" anything. It'd be convenient.

So how do I go about it? Where do I advertise?

OR am I better enrolling with an agency?

As you can see, my ideas are as well-formed as a piece of plasticine someone left on the floor and got trodden into the carpet. What am I missing?

Thankee kindly in advance.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't feed me these lines.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

This is exactly what I do, tutor at home, parents wait etc. Most of my tutees are now word of mouth, but FirstTutors was and is useful and they don't charge the tutor a fee. I also tried Tutorhunt but as others have said, they constantly send not very genuine enquiries, and would like you to tutor a session FOC. Not a chance. Set up a profile on FT, get your clearance and give it a go, just specify that you don't travel.

When I first started I did use an agency that charged and was inundated with requests, it didn't take long though to just do my own thing.

I also tutor online using Skype and Idroo as an interactive board. Very useful for when tutees can't get to you.

4. grumpydogwoman

@phatsals

Gold star!

I am doing just as you suggested. FirstTutors.

Glad my idea about parent sitting and waiting isn't bonkers!

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No, it isn't. I've even had a few nod off on the sofa - maybe my droning on in the background did that to them :)

Good luck!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have a few parents who stay and get some of their own work done in the other room.
    Working from home can make you more flexible because if you need to change a day you don't need to factor in travel routes

Mrsmumbles and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

There was I thinking it was a very cunning plan on my part! But wiser owls than I had got there first. :)

langteacher likes this.
  8. Navygal

Navygal New commenter

You could also set up a profile on social media. I'm always seeing adverts for tutors on there although might take a little long for enquiries to start filtering in.
    You could offer tea & biscuits to the parents - I'd sign up for that! :)
    Good Luck!

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Being able to sit in the tutor's house may a positive thing - it beats sitting in the car outside, which may be the alternative if they're coming any distance.

Someone told me about their children's piano teacher, who had a few children of her own. Her deal was that while she taught the pupils, the waiting parent would childmind her kids - there would be a note of who needed to do what homework and when to put the oven on. It was a rural area, so it probably wasn't worth parents going away and coming back, and I guess she charged less!

10. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

I tutor from home, A Level students mostly from the local college which is a ten minute walk away, this means they can come during their free periods or straight after college and my evenings are pretty free. I'm on tutor hunt, and once one or two are signed up they tend to pass my details on to their friends and it has built up like that.

Edited to add: this year I've set up a Facebook page and shared it on some local groups and that's yielded three new students too.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Mrsmumbles, Jen26 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Tutor Hunt?

Facebook?

Aha! More grist to my mill.

Thanks to all.

Just waiting for FirstTutors to process my references. And then keeping my fingers crossed.

12. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

As an aside what are you planning on doing with your dog while you tutor. One of the few complaints I have had was when my dog interrupted a lesson by barking! Yet when I travel to tutees houses most of them seem to have dogs.

13. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have two dogs, they snore their way through my lessons! I kid you not

14. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

My dog used to try to batter her way into the tutoring room (and then proceed to try to smooch the tutees), she has a sleep upstairs with the radio on now

Mrsmumbles and langteacher like this.
  15. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Strangely on another thread references to specific tutoring websites were removed by the moderators but here they seem to OK.

16. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

yes, like I said elsewhere, there's no logic to when it's censored.

17. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Good luck Mrs Dogwoman and do let us know how you get on. I am considering trying my hand at this too.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

I shall! Keep you posted.

Dogs? @doctoryes

Well, the parent can go in the living room and relax/keep an ear open.
    The dogs can go in the office (OK, converted garage!)

We (if I get any takers) will work at the kitchen table with a tablet and maybe a laptop.

19. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I emailed tes.community to ask them to clarify their policy on what is and is not permitted. I don't really expect a reply but I'll let you know if I do hear anything.

20. dadaomangran

dadaomangran New commenter

Maybe I am the person you are looking for. I am currently looking for tutors to teach oral English to preschool children. Not that easy because patience or experience is always needed. However, if interested, we can go on.