1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get points or M2 as an NQT?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by edith8, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I'm doing my GTP and my placement school has offered me a permanent contract (hooray!). I've got the meeting about my contract tomorrow and wondered if anyone knows what I need to do to be awarded 'discretionary points' or M2. I have 15 years experience as a corpoate trainer and was Operations Director of a management consultancy for 5 years.
    How do I know what that's worth to a school?
    Thanks!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You ask for it politely.

3. It's often a case of supply and demand and how much the school wants you. Shortage subject, school really wants you = chance of getting more in my experience. It ultimately depends if you're prepared to walk away from it if they don't offer what you want. As a previous poster says you could find it difficult to move on later on, I started on M3 and have just gone through threshold, I know that I'd struggle to get a mainscale post if I applied now as I am expensive.

4. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Not likely to happen in this current economic climate. I was an unqualified teacher for 6 years, did the GTP and began my NQT year on M1. What you did previously to getting QTS is largely irrelevant.