1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get parents to read newsletters?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, May 16, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Nice one, I think that I will try that:D

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I always do that and they are learning to read/prepare questions in advance! It has taken a couple of years training however!

3. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

Just for information colpee - our newsletter is only available online and from the website. There are two hard copies and these are put in the large outdoor noticeboards for parents to read on their way in or out of school! No crumpled newsletters here!!

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have made the decision to go online via website with a text to tell parents and newsletter also posted to our website. I will also put a paper copy in the entrance hall. We also have a school app and It will be posted to that. If they then don't read it - what more can I do:(

5. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Also slightly off topic but in relation to deliberate mistakes... I once accidentally made a typo in the newsletter about the children happily displaying their colourful willies in Forest School (I meant wellies). It caused such hilarity that I think the parents now hope I'll have another 'Allo 'Allo moment so read the newsletter in anticipation!

6. install

install Star commenter

Send a text to all parents - it works a treat.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

We had the same problem so I decided to insert a small square with a number on (to represent a raffle ticket). The idea was that if a parent signed the back of the "ticket" and returned it, their child would go into the draw for a prize (our newsletter was fortnightly). If there was a parents' evening newsletter or something vital, we'd do the same but the raffle would be drawn and the winner would be a parent who had attended.
    Prizes were simple, e.g. stationery/books etc for kids and small voucher for parents 3 times per year.
    Worked wonders with the newsletter and the dreaded office phone calls to ask about things they should have known diminished almost entirely.
    Been going for 2 years now and still has the desired effect.
    Hope that helps.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Willies/Wellies - I've done the same and it was proof read before I sent it out! Glad it's not just me. The parents thought it hilarious!
    sooooexcited - what a good idea - thanks!

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Sending in different formats is a good idea-some parents prefer online, some still do not want to use computers-I know parenst in their early 20s who don't!