1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get parents to read newsletters?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, May 16, 2016.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I post them to the website, send them out by paper and post to our school app and still many parents don't read the newsletter. I have shortened the length of the newsletter and only do one per small term.

Any ideas gratefully welcomed please!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I used to wonder much the same about governors and papers for governing body meetings...

GLsghost, mrkeys, Marshall and 2 others like this.
  3. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I hope you didn't get to the stage of deliberately making mistakes in them...

mrkeys and Marshall like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Ha - totally agree! All they seemed to pick up were secretarial errors and I had to tell them that they would not be discussed.

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

BUT - still doesn't answer the question!

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We send out a weekly newsletter. I know it seems odd but if you sent them out more frequently they may be read more. Just an idea.

I have the same problem with governors not reading the papers I prepare. I am not going to make paper copies anymore just keep it all electronic as it is just a waste of paper when they are not read or left behind after the meeting.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You will never get parents to read newsletters. You will always get that parent ringing up to ask "is it non uniform day today?" "Yes I say, did you not read the newsletter?"

My governors are pretty good and read everything I send them - or so they tell me.

8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I send the newsletter out via email and put a copy on the external school noticeboard which everyone has to walk past to collect children. We also send texts reminding parents of things they don't know - well they would know if they read the newsletter!! Now they moan that they get too many texts, but at least we have fewer children without swimming kit, wellies, lunch for a trip..........

Can't win whatever we do....and as for Governors and paperwork - let's not go there!!!

9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thanks for your ideas - some interesting ideas!

Governors - I have had the same problem. But I tackled this by s that we wouldn't go through every document in detail because they had already ready it (!?) and I would just summarise and deal with their questions. Worked for me! They either read the information or n - it's up to them. We also don't deal with secretarial issues at the meetings, they have to inform me or the clerk of any issues beforehand (or not as the case may be!).

10. enjoyteach

enjoyteach New commenter

Oh yes the governors love a typo, it all goes quiet when we ask about governor visits and training updates! We have moved to all documents via e mail in advance of the meetings, it has saved so much paper and cleaning up time after a meeting.

digoryvenn and Northhead like this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

We also do everything online - via a secure governors area on the website. Surprisingly it didn't cause too much of a problem!

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Make sure that things that parents are desperate to get hold of - tickets for the Nativity play, the annual parent/teacher snowball fight, whatever - are only advertised via the newsletter. All questions to your receptionist would be answered by, "It's in your newsletter..."

13. dipper

dipper New commenter

Try using a school Facebook page and put a link to your website/newsletters.

14. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

Where you have permission - put lots of pictures of the children taking part in activities, events and learning - they will soon want to look then, and once they into the habit - you have them!!

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Decades ago, in the Banda era, a parent wrote a furious tirade stating she had not been informed about parents' evening. The torn piece of A4 on which the complaint was written was, of course, the newsletter inviting parents to the latest parents' evening. We had it framed between two pieces of glass. It never failed to cheer.

alexanderosman, hhhh and Camokidmommy like this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Brilliant!

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Crumpled and dated newletters rescued from the bottom of school bags with important info buried within 'news' about Mrs Smart's new baby, Hannah Honest's promotion to playground monitor and Ed the Head's classroom walkabout is not the best way of grabbing or keeping parent attention.

An on-line calendar and one letter per term addressed to parents that has all important dates will do folks! Otherwise, apologies in advance for missing dress up as a bumble-bee day. o_O

Marshall likes this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Our newsletter is pretty much that!

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Slightly off-topic (for which I apologise) and anecdotal, but it was some small pleasure in telling governors that I would not waste their time by reading my presentation to them, since they had all had it in advance and suggested we just go straight to questions...

Cue paper-shuffling, avoidance of eye-contact and an early escape!

20. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

*Sniggers* :D