1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get out of doing this ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TheFlyingDutchman, Sep 20, 2007.

1. I work in a church school and part of the normal working practice involves attending church and cathedral on a fairly regular basis - which I have no issue with during the normal school day.

The school holds an annual christmas carol service at the local cathedral and (due to a steadily dwindling attendance) my head has seen fit to include the service on the school calender and directed time document, presumably to make the place appear more full by fulling it with tired and bored teachers until 9.30 on a school evening.

There is no requirement for pupils to attend thus there are no supervision issues and thus no apparent practical reason for staff to have to attend. When taking the post I agreed to uphold the religious ethos of the school, and I do this in all aspects of my regular teaching, although it seems to me that this has concept has been pushed a little far in this instance.

Has anyone had similar experiences ? Can anyone suggest any methods by which I can get out of attending this ? I am currently seeking advice from my union rep about this as well as exploring potential arguments under the Human Rights Act, any other ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

2. I work in a church school and part of the normal working practice involves attending church and cathedral on a fairly regular basis - which I have no issue with during the normal school day.

The school holds an annual christmas carol service at the local cathedral and (due to a steadily dwindling attendance) my head has seen fit to include the service on the school calender and directed time document, presumably to make the place appear more full by fulling it with tired and bored teachers until 9.30 on a school evening.

There is no requirement for pupils to attend thus there are no supervision issues and thus no apparent practical reason for staff to have to attend. When taking the post I agreed to uphold the religious ethos of the school, and I do this in all aspects of my regular teaching, although it seems to me that this has concept has been pushed a little far in this instance.

Has anyone had similar experiences ? Can anyone suggest any methods by which I can get out of attending this ? I am currently seeking advice from my union rep about this as well as exploring potential arguments under the Human Rights Act, any other ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

3. gmf

gmf

I suspect that your only choice is to 'pull a sickie', as the HT has included it in the directed time budget.

Perhaps look to move to a non-faith school?

4. an annual event surely this isnt that challenging, primary school staff attend a range of out of school hours events particularly at this time of year it is part of supporting ethos of school

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Our Carlo sevive is directed time. We are a non-faith school. I feel that it is actually quite sad that it has to be as who would not want to go? I love extra -curriccualr things like this our Head of Music and Deputy head teacher work really hard for ours. Ours is also a late evening, but I always want to go and most staff meet in the pub afterwards!

6. Go to the event or look for a new job. You agreed to this sort of thing when you joined - you are going back on your word. Maybe if you had been upfront about this at interview this would not now be a problem (ie you would not have been offered the post).
    Human Rights - this is exactly the kind of tripe that gives the media a field day. Look up Amnesty on google and see what Human Rights abuse is really about. ( http://www.amnesty.org.uk/ - I have done it for you in case it is too much trouble). Maybe think about it while you are safe in your cathedral listening to the children at your school proudly performing their talents. And maybe count your blessings.
    Laughable

7. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I wonder whether the OP is still in that job more than 3 years down the line?????
    Either way, whilst 'human rights' may be a bit excessive, I personally wouldn't want to go - but I would never choose to work in a church school again (I did three years in a CofE school, which was OK).

However, I do question the validity of making it directed time...OK, it's part of the school ethos but a teacher is employed to teach, and I don't think sitting in a church is good value for money for the taxpayer.
    Mark
    -xxx-