1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get my class to all be quiet?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

This is simply a question of training them into your style; use a bell, a whistle, a bazooka, whatever you do to get their attention. Make sure they know that this is the signal for quiet- I just use my voice to the same end). Then, as some quieten down, name and praise them. If children are still talking, then you need to name and punish them, it's as simple as that. 'Jenny, you're still talking, I need to see you later.....well done Sam......Tajmir, don't make me ask you twice...' etc. Then make sure that anyone who keeps talking over you gets into some kind of hellish trouble. You have to link behaviour with consequences, or they simply won't learn. You'll get there. It takes time to habituate them into this, so don;t expect miracles in a few days. Good luck

Tom

Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him. His latest book, Teacher, is out this month, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury