1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get into supply teaching?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Don Morrison, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am currently working as a full-time primary teacher in London, but come september I want to switch to supply teaching. However, I really don't have a clue where to start. Do I email my CV directly to councils that I want to work for? Or do I register with a suppy agency and, if so which one?
    Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated!
    Kind reagrds,
    Donny

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Find the agencies that your school uses and contact them.

3. My advice would be, don't leave your full-time teaching job unless you're absolutely desperate to get out and, even then, you should have some kind of fall-back plan in case supply doesn't work out. I think most supply teachers will tell you that supply has gone to virtually nothing in the last couple of years. I used to get at least two or three days a week, now I'm lucky to get that amount in half a term. I think some people are lucky and are still getting work in some areas and I don't know what London is like in that respect but, as I said, unless you're desperate to leave your current job, my advice would be to stay put.

4. Thank you for your replies. That is quite disheartening however. Could any current supply teachers in London tell me how much work there is there at the moment? And how many hours/days on average you get a week?
    Donny

5. In am teach maths and chemistry up to A level, in London. In the year from May 2010 to April 2011, when I gave up and retired, I had SIX days supply, only four of which resulted in being paid! Do not give up the day job!

6. Donny
    Please don't give up the day job unless you are retiring/have savings/have won the lottery! It is really that bad! The introduction of cover supervisors, the introduction of instructors, academies don't need to emply QTS Teachers, it's all devaluing our profession. Supply is dead.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I too am advising against leaving a permanent post for the vagaries of supply. There is often little day-to-day supply work around & if long-term posts come up they tend to go to 'known supplies' and you have the same job expectations as normal class teachers, which may be why you're considering supply!