1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get experience??

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by PARTALOA, Dec 14, 2011.

1. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

I graduated with a PGCE in PCET (post 16) in Teaching July this year. Additionally, I have an honours degree in Languages (Spanish/Italian/English) and a CELTA qualification. At this moment I am teaching Spanish and Italian in FE on a part time agency contract (one night a week) . I'm teaching 10 week rolling programme throughout the academic year. I've been teaching this way for the last 2 years whilst studying for my PGCE which was part-time. I am also completing the QTLS professional formation. I also run a language Centre for 3 - 11 year olds at a local community hall. Whilst there have been recommendations in Prof.Wolf's report to allow FE Lecturers into secondary mainstream school. The difficulty that I am having is that most jobs I have applied for (including online tutoring) I am been turned down because I have no teaching experience at GCSE/ALevel. However, in my courses I have always ensured that I include topics from the GCSE specification. I have stated this in job applications but then I am told that I have no classroom experience. The college I teach at are not going to deliver any GCSE/ALevel in languages. Does anyone have any idea how I can get some GCSE /A level experience? I beginning to wonder if all the studying has been worth it!!

2. Caity52

Caity52 New commenter

The difficulty is that there are a lot of well qualified students who will enter on M1 (presumably you will be higher up the pay scale but with no more exam experience) applying for every job, you also don't seem to have experience of the sullen teenager market. I would suggest looking for supply work in the first instance - this will get you into schools and give you the chance to develop/prove you have strategies for things like behaviour management.
    You may not be working in languages initially but as schools get to know you they will try to use your strengths where they can. Then once you have developed contacts in a school you might be able to organise opportunities to observe in the languages department and help out in GCSE and A level lessons - I'm sure a lot of schools would be delighted to get some free support and you in return would get to see how controlled assessments and exam preparation are organised. You may even strike lucky and get to cover a long-term sickness or maternity absence which could lead to a permanent job, or at least the experience you need to get one. Good luck!

3. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Thanks for your info.