1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get an Economics or business studies teaching post

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by jillyjsm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Surely you will continue applying for positions teaching either one of the subjects or all three. Many schools are now delivering business at KS3 often within the ICT timetable, which you could offer.
    Your main aim is to gain a teaching position, therefore apply for any vacancy, even if it is pure ICT. Waiting for the perfect Biz position may take much longer.
    Once you have taken up the post you will most probably end up delivering some biz/econ during your subsequent years at the school, especially if the school offers enterprise as you could become involved in that and therefore able to demonstrate your knowledge.
    I am a Biz/Econ graduate with a PGCE in Biz and ICT. My very first teaching post was KS4/KS5 Business. After a couple of years I took a job teaching ICT KS3-KS5.
    Then a successful application some years ago as Head of Biz KS4/KS5 included a couple of Y7 ICT classes each week. When the Head of ICT took a position elsewhere, I was asked to take on the teaching of KS4 ICT. I am now head of Biz/ICT and its great.
    My passion is in biz, as well as KS4/KS5 biz, I now deliver the ICT curriculum at KS3 within basic business concepts eg: ownership, marketing mix, recruitment, methods of production.
    It's far more fun that just ICT.
    Good luck with your interviews, just go with the flow and see what happens in your first post, and take it from there.

2. In all honesty you will struggle to get an Economics teaching post if you have no formal qualification in it.

3. Hi. This is my first post on this forum. I am finding it really interesting and would like your opinion cause you seem very into the issue.
    I am Maltese and would like to come and live in the UK (preference to North West area). I have the ACCA prof qual (for the last 5 years) and a local PGCE in Accounts. Locally, due to my practical experience and lack of Accounting teaching jobs at secondary level (which lead to the O levels as we call them (GCSE's)), I am teaching AAT Diploma subjects at our local college. Malta is so small that all the interested students go to this one college from all over the island.
    My questions are these:
    1 - I keep finding reference to Bus Stud and Economics. Is Accounts taught in the secondary schools in UK? (by secondary schools i mean age 11-16)
    2- would my qualifications be enough to apply for any related teaching jobs in England?
    3- would i be better off (in terms of pay and lifestyle and hours of work) if i went for teaching in UK rather than an Accountancy job (in the merseyside/liverpool area)
    4- how do you go about finding a teaching job in the UK? online i found teaching jobs on the Wirral borough site...is that it....i mean how you find these teaching jobs??
    I would appreciate your comments and tips, especially if there's anyone who is outside UK!!

4. I am currently looking for Bus and Eco teacher IMMEDIATELY at a Secondary School in North London.

Should you be interested please give drop me a line

5. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

Hello

In answer to your questions:

1. Accountancy tends to be a topic within GCSE/BTEC specifications however as a subject it is very rarely taught at 11-16. You may find that some schools and Sixth Form colleges will teach it as an A level subject.

2. It may depend on how the school/college treats the level of training, You would be more "marketable" if you had a PGCE in Business Studies as this would give you more options. Sixth Form/Vocational Colleges may view this background better.

3. This is a big question as your heart will have to be in teaching and all that it brings in terms of volume of work and commitment required. Yes you might have good holidays but you tend to do plenty of work during this time. Teaching may offer you pay progression but the discussion about whether you go into teaching or not is a bigger debate altogether. As to whether you look for an accountancy vacancy would depend on your current skill and knowledge level but this is a competitive area and there would be a large number of candidates for any vacancy.

4. The best place to find vacancies is to use the Times Educational Supplement website itself. If you look for secondary vacancies within a 20 miles radius of the postcode L1 you can set up an alert which would allow you to be told when vacancies in this area appear.

Hope that helps and good luck with your search

Thanks