1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get a part time job?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by nearly_there_now, Mar 3, 2016.

1. nearly_there_now

nearly_there_now New commenter

Morning all, we are relocating and I am looking for a part time teaching post, anything between 2 and 3 days would be ideal. All the jobs I've seen so far have been full time posts. I've emailed 2 prep schools to see if they would consider part time applicants and fair enough, the answer was no, it's as advertised. Am I doing this the right way round- do people apply, possibly get the job and then request part time? I'm guessing not, but another prep school post came up yesterday that I'd be really interested in, again advertised as full time. Just wondering if I need to hold out for an actual part time vacancy and are they pretty rare? Thank you.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'd say that you probably need to hold out for an actual part-time vacancy, but asking before applying for a full-time job whether they would consider something part-time would be much better than applying, interviewing, being offered the job then asking about part-time (if that is all you would consider) is a bad idea.

I've put an @TheoGriff tag here so that she can advise about independent schools, part-time and other jobseeking topics.

Good luck, though - my own school does offer part-time in Maths and MFL, but not sure in the other departments, so it is possible to work in an independent school part-time, but it depends on their need, not yours.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'd try writing to all the indies in the area you are moving to in order to let them know you would be interested in a part-time vacancy. Can't speak for prep schools, but in secondary it is not uncommon to find the need for a part-timer arising when the timetable for the new academic year is drawn up, often because someone has taken on pastoral or boarding duties, or simply because there is more demand in a particular subject option, although not enough demand for a whole 1.0 person.

4. nearly_there_now

Thank you both for your replies, v helpful. I'll try contacting schools in the area to let them know I'm looking.... I've worked at the same school for almost 15 years so I'm new to the idea of job hunting! Thanks again.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have part time teachers in our prep, but not many.
    SENCO/RE teacher, French and music. Art would be, if not taught by the DH.
    These are not shortage subjects and people tend not to move on, so vacancies rarely come up.

Given a choice we'd not want a job share for pre-prep or most other subjects, and we do have that choice since we don't struggle for applicants.

Depends on your subject and how large prep schools are in your area, whether or not they need a part time teacher. Sorry I don't think I'm being overly positive for you.

6. nearly_there_now

Thanks for your thoughts, don't worry if it's not very positive, I'd rather know what my realistic chances are. I'm currently partly covering Music so that may lead to something- I could teach curriculum music, choir, orchestra, play piano etc.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are a small Rec-Yr8 prep school and our music teacher works 1.5 days covering all curriculum music, piano in assembly/concerts/etc. She teaches piano as an extra for those wanting 1:1 lessons and co-ordinates the other peri lessons and teachers.
    A larger prep may need more hours to do the same thing.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As well as prep schools, don't forget to canvas any senior schools in the area that have their own on-site junior schools. There are a surprising number of these.

nearly_there_now likes this.
  9. nearly_there_now

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll get writing some letters.