1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I find an employing school for my GTP application?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lizkelly1984, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone
    I am 27 and I am going to apply to do the GTP with Newman university this September to hopefully start in September 2012. I have been advised that I need to find an employing school before submitting an application. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea how to find an employing school. I am volunteering once a week to gain work experience in a local primary school and I also volunteer with the local brownie group .
    Does anybody have any advice as to how I find an employing school? How do I compose my letter? Do I include a CV?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Liz :)

2. Hello Welshwizard

Thank you for being so helpful. Can I ask another question; do you think that it might be worth starting to look for an employing school for 2013, applying to Newman (and various other universities) in September 2012 instead of this year? The reason I ask is because I think I perhaps have left things a little late, I don't have a lot of experience in the classroom yet, I will be awaiting my GCSE Science result (which has limited how many uni's I can apply to wit exam results pending) and I haven't found an employing school. If I was to apply in Sept 2012 perhaps I would have a better chance?
    But would schools consider employing me in September 2013 when they don't even know what sort of funding is going to be in place at that time? Surely it would be difficlt for them to make a decision 2 years in advance.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
    Liz :)

3. I did work experience at one school, where I met a former GTP student who gave me a list of local school who had taken on GTP students in the past. I'm now about to start the GTP with the first school on that list.

That said, my first application was rejected for lack of experience. I have since had two jobs as a TA (including working in my GTP school since Sept).

Work experience is vital for a GTP application (I would say). I would advise you to contact lots of local schools - a letter or phonecall - being very clear about your plans and asking for work exp/a job as a TA if you are in a position to do so.

An application this year might be hopeful, but it may also be vital experience and will make you look determined if you apply again with a stronger application the following year. That worked for me anyway :) Good luck.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As budgets are subject to so many restrictions and cutbacks it would be very unlikely for a school to be able to commit to recruitment over that time scale. As the other poster confirms my experience is that GTP candidates with substantial classroom experience do have the edge and most I know have been TA's before being accepted.
    However there are big chhanges on the horizon with ITT and the role of the new teaching schools will have an enormous inmpact upon local provision for teacher training. Wathch that space!