1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I find a job in Australia?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ictLad, May 23, 2012.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Hi,

Really hoping someone can give me some guidance here. Really want to move to oz (don't really mind where so long as near coast) for a few years to teach before settle down, have kids, get too old etc etc. I am in my sixth year of teaching Computing/ICT and have been a HoD for almost three.

I have done some online checks to see if I would get into the country and that seems to be fine, but the one thing I can't seem to do is to find a website (or sites) like the TES. Everything state has their own way of doing things and I'm damned if I can find a centralised job searching site to go to, and when I do find the odd nugget out there the amount of advertised teaching jobs (let alone ict ones) seems pitiful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to actually line up a job, is there a website(s) which I should definitely look on, or maybe some agencies I should get myself signed up to? Would be really grateful for any help as am feeling that time is running out for me on this one.

2. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Hi,

Really hoping someone can give me some guidance here. Really want to move to oz (don't really mind where so long as near coast) for a few years to teach before settle down, have kids, get too old etc etc. I am in my sixth year of teaching Computing/ICT and have been a HoD for almost three.

I have done some online checks to see if I would get into the country and that seems to be fine, but the one thing I can't seem to do is to find a website (or sites) like the TES. Everything state has their own way of doing things and I'm damned if I can find a centralised job searching site to go to, and when I do find the odd nugget out there the amount of advertised teaching jobs (let alone ict ones) seems pitiful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to actually line up a job, is there a website(s) which I should definitely look on, or maybe some agencies I should get myself signed up to? Would be really grateful for any help as am feeling that time is running out for me on this one.

3. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

There's a whole up-to-date section on Teaching in Australia on this site. Start there.

Despite appearances to the contrary, Australia is in recession, with cuts in the public sector.

There is no site like the TES in Oz. Try .

All states are different, with different criteria.

Agencies are W.a.nk. Avoid.

4. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Try SEEK for jobs in au.

5. Aw, that's cute! Australia is not in recession we have one of the best economies in the world. Don't believe the Murdoch press they are bo llocking the government as the government isn't made up of right wing fascists who think that big business should be allowed to operate in anyway they want. Now Pomunder you are an educated person; consult trained professionals, economists not aligned with the mainstream press or better still the data out of the Department of Treasury. Unemployment is under 5%, tell me the countries who can beat that.

OP try plugging teachers on net au into google and you will get the major teaching jobs website in Australia. We do have a TES we simply don't have the population to sustain it.

6. ?
    That site led me to
    Doctor jobs in Ireland,?
    where I could ?
    Work in modern public hospitals?
    Access excellent pay rates?
    (because doctors are going to look for jobs through an AdChoices ad?)

or find a?
    Directory of kids safe websites, Dictionary and Thesaurus including over 100,000 words, Encyclopedia with 1 million articles and a Language Translator.

?But nothing on finding work as a teacher in Austrailia.
    Out of curiosity, if all of the economists speaking with the mainstream press are aligned with them in misrepresenting the unemployment rate, how do you know what the real rate is?

7. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

I stand by what I said about Australia and the recession. It's not in the mire as the rest of the world, but public services cuts are widespread. All those mining profits are not going back into the country as they should.

There are two economies in Australia: mining and the rest.

8. We don't need no stinkin' mainstream press ... because we can go straight to the source and interpret for ourselves - www.abs.gov.au - what do you do P? believe the *** writing the article or check the facts? :)