1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I copyright my poem?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by FrabjousDay, Nov 3, 2015.

1. FrabjousDay

FrabjousDay Occasional commenter

I wrote and uploaded a poem, which is available for free as a resource, along with a lesson plan to be used in conjunction with it.

Should I copyright my poem? And if I should, how do I do it?.

Thanks!

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Although you can put the copyright symbol [in Symbols (guess what)] or easily found by holding down Alt and tapping 0169 on the keyboard with your name and the year in the footer, you just have to remember that if you put it online you are really giving it away! One of the TES licences does say you don't want people to change it, I think. It is virtually impossible to keep track of things which are out there and prohibitively expensive to go to law. You can issue a 'cease and desist' or somesuch notice if you notice people stealing your work. And you can Google a bit of the text after a while and see if it is credited to anyone else... Maybe one of the others will have further info.

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

My understanding is that you don't need to do anything - the original creator owns the copyright unless they sell it on or give it away. That was case with photos, anyway - if you had the negative, you owned the copyright. I'm not sure how you'd prove ownership these days, though.

4. FrabjousDay

Thanks for the feedback both of you. It would be a little devastating to put the work in to making something only to find that someone else has put their name on it, especially if I managed to actually turn out something that was any good.

5. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

I had a similar dilemma, found a trainee using a poem she had 'written' she had found a printed copy, googled it, found no results so claimed it as her own, what were the chances of her host teacher having actually written it? Well high as she was teaching my class! She used it very well though...
    I upload all my stuff to www.allpoetry.com first, before I use it, give it to other people etc.
    Free to use and some canny stuff on there! A lot of pretentious guff though too...

LearnersLabyrinth likes this.
  6. FrabjousDay

Thank you Skychaserhigh - very useful. And an enjoyable story about a trainee playing hard and lose with intellectual property! I don't think my stuff is good enough for anyone to be racing to put their name on it, but maybe one day I might write something that isn't completely terrible, so it's good to know the process.

Much appreciated.

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter