1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I compete?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 2BigMacs, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Hi,

I am devastated. I have not been able to secure a job teaching where I live as I have come second to internal candidates who were appointed because 'they had a bit more experience', but we thought your lesson was better, or candidates who have taken a 12K pay drop (who have more experience!) who have come from other schools.

I have done loads of CPD, have an MA, am OfSted Outstanding and teach a shortage subject and I don't understand why I can't get a job despite being told how impressed etc panels are with me. Why is it I can get a job if I commute for 5 hours a day and am worked to death in an academy and treated badly?

sorry for the rant but I love teaching and I'm really upset no one will give me a chance.

Can I do leadership qualifications if I'm not in an actual leadership post?

I have been in teaching for 5 years now and I can't see the point in staying if I can't get a job.

any suggestions, motivational speeches or a kick up the backside for felling sorry for myself gratefully accepted

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

How do you know candidates have taken a 12K pay drop? That's confidential and not meant to be discussed with anyone. If people are disclosing that at interviews they need to keep their mouths closed. Salary is between you and the HT. As for the internals, "bit more experience" can mean ore experience teaching the Specs they have, or it could be that they were simply the best on the day. Sometimes internals aren't successful.

It sounds, reading between the lines, that you had a bad experience and are still not letting go of it. Perhaps you come over in the interview as a bit negative. Your post does read as very upset, and if you are desperate to get a job, that can come over to interviewers. You are clearly excellent in the classroom if you're told your lesson is the best, but if you go into the interview with that aura of "my last school was a hell hole" panels do pick up on it.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't understand your query about doing leadership qualifications - if no-one will appoint you to a teaching post in a shortage subject at the moment, they certainly won't appoint you to a leadership post.

4. CWadd thank you for your comments however you have misinterpreted my comments about a previous school. It was very full on and I worked very hard but never once complained, I just got on with it.

Middlemarch I am wondering if I can fund leadership qualifications to improve my chances of obtaining a post. I have always had responsibility, just not the title that goes with it. Thank you for you comments.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"worked to death in an academy and treated badly"

Surely you can see how that seems negative?

6. I see your point but I have only said that on here, never to anyone else. Interesting point you make about being "desperate to get a job, that can come over to interviewers". Maybe that is what is happening without me realising it. Thank you for your comments

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I wonder if a professional can always have this cart before the horse.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid you'd be wasting your money - it's experience that matters, not 'titles' and 'qualifications' that don't accompany relevant school experience are similarly a waste of time and money.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Firstly, I'm sorry that things have been so disappointing to you.

Secondly, don't take too seriously what you are told in feedback - schools have to say something, and often don't really know what to say . . .

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

You are clearly doing the right thing in your applications, since you get interviews. It seems that it is here that things are going pearshaped.

So, do some interview practice.

Read all my interview advice articles first, (do you know where they are?), get a list of possible questions, dress up smartly and have someone very blunt give you a mock interview.

You may be doing something - glaring, or on the contrary avoiding eye contact - that could be off-putting. Or talking too much, waffling on. Or just giving v short answers.

But get some feedback, and see if this helps.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.