1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do i check my pay is correct?!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tafkam, Jun 7, 2012.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Complex indeed!
    My first thought is to ask what your payslip shows, as this should make quite clear what you are being paid for. If you haven't had it yet, then I think it is too soon to try to work it out.
    That said, it does sound to me like you've not been paid your full entitlement for the work you've done so far. Are you sure that the money you've received is actually for those three days, and not for earlier work such as KIT days, or the tail end of your maternity entitlement? I'd have expected work so late in the calendar month to have ended up in June's pay packet, since it's very late for PayRoll to be processing things for such soon payment.
    As for the approximate calculation of your earnings:
    Firstly, most authorities simply pay the salary over 12 equal monthly instalments. So, for a full working month you would earn 1/12th of your annual salary.
    Secondly, in such circumstances, your return-to-work date would be the only significant factor for your salary. So, if you started work on Monday 28th May then you'd be entitled to your salary from that date - around 4/31ths of your usual monthly amount (or 4/365ths of your salary)
    Given that your salary is approximately £37,980, I'd expect your pay for May to be 4/365ths of that amount, so just over £400 before tax. Therefore, it does seem like you've been underpaid, if that's what the payment is for.
    But as I said to start with, without looking at your payslip, you cannot be clear.

2. Thanks tafkam. My payslip shows a gross payment of £171 for 3 days work on UPS2.
    Then an extra payment has been made (not on payslip) of £126 which apparently is 0.6 of my monthly TLR (the lowest one of £2500 approx pa) which payroll forgot to pay me originally.
    def not any mat pay or KIT days been paid this month.
    Actually i need to ask as this may be the main problem, if you work 0.6 FTE do you get 0.6 of a TLR or still the full TLR? i think that may solve the problem if i find out the answer to this.
    Many rthanks Tafkam.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Ah, had forgotten the 0.6 by the end of my previous post! I'm afraid the TLR becomes pro rata do you only receive 60% of it too.

4. Thanks tafkam. Great help.