1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do I become an NQT mentor?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by secondrowchick, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. secondrowchick

secondrowchick New commenter

Hello,
    I am interested in getting involved in helping to train future teachers. I have been looking for information on how to become and NQT mentor but havn't found a lot! Is there a specific training course for this? If not, do you know how I go about it?
    Many thanks
    Jenny

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to be involved with training future teachers, then you really need to get involved with initial teacher training. Speak to your headteacher about mentoring student teachers if your school has them already. If your school doesn't already have trainees, then speak to your head about starting a relationship with the local training provider, who are usually desperate for school placements. Start small and build up.

You cannot become an NQT mentor unless your school appoints an NQT and needs someone to mentor them. Speak to your headteacher soon about doing this, so they are aware when making appointments for September and can allow you to attend LA training if needed.

Landofla likes this.