1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do higher order questioning strategies enhance student achievement?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by liam_derwen, Oct 15, 2018.

1. liam_derwen

liam_derwen New commenter

Hi I am currently working on my action research plan for my PGCE can anybody suggest relevant resources for me to read upon:)

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have done lots of training on questioning / written something which covers the theory / practical ... happy to send you my PPTs / article and refs but on holiday til 25 th October so if you are interested shall then pm you and send what I have.

liam_derwen likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I supervise a lot of these. You should find plenty of studies already done on higher order questioning. For your study you need to consider what you are contributing to the body of knowledge.

So how will you grade questions? Look at how others have done this. Some people are criticising higher order questions and using CLT with Hirsch to say they are not as superior as they once were. Not criticisms in your lit review Rowe).
    How will you deliver these questions? Teacher led. Peer to peer. Wait time. There are quite a few permutations.
    How will you capture the thinking that pupils have done? Scheduled observation? MP3s and categorisation? Semi structured interviews?

Then there is interpretation of results. Bring the lit review back and see if what you found tallies or not.

Hope some of that helps.

liam_derwen likes this.
  4. liam_derwen

liam_derwen New commenter

That will be brilliant thank you much appreciated