1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How difficult would it be?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by wrldtrvlr123, Feb 9, 2012.

1. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Pardon my nosiness, but if the reasons are mainly financial, wouldn't you be better off finding an int'l school with a better package?

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

There are many bits of info missing that make it impossible to predict how realistic a move back is.
    1. Did you complete your contract? If no, then this will significantly impair your chances.
    2. When did you move? 3. Where did you move to?
    Being threshold you will be expensive.
    The above suggestion of finding a better paid school overseas is sensible; although it isn't about the nett pay so much as how much you can save in a country. Teachers in my school can easily save @£1000 per month. However, next door in a country with higher pay on average, but higher cost of living, such a saving isn't realistic.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

True. But in my mind, a better package implies a healthy savings potential. I roll my eyes at schools that pay $70K+ but imply you'll be breaking even every year. Maybe that will be fine in down the road when I have saved a bit more money, paid off some more debts and take a position purely for the joy of teaching at that school or living in that country.
    Our first post overseas saw us both take a dramatic pay cut, but we still saved one whole person's salary which would have been impossible in our home country.

4. Agree with the above.

My pay here in South America is almost a third i would get in the uk, but i have accomodation paid for, medical coverage etc. So i save more than i would in the UK. Managed to pay for a wedding and pay off a loan without too much trouble, and still live a comfortable lifestyle.

Also i guess it is partly down to the lifestyle that you enjoy. Personally i was, and still am, sick to death of the english lifestyle and the weather, so am contemplating my next international move.

This one is more money motivated, but that is because it will be my first year of marriage, and we do want to start saving alot for the future.

So i think it is down to where you are in life, and what your goals are.

")

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that the OP was considering a move back to the UK. London, in fact. Well, the good news is that the Olympics will be over by September. Paying for them won't be.

6. Thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated. I know I have been pretty vague. I have moved to my partner's home country which is in Europe. There are only 3 international schools in the capital city where we are living close to. One of them pays really well and has a very good reputation, I have heard not such good things about another and I'm at the third. My school is fine but the salary is about one quarter of a UK teacher's salary with no help towards accommodation. I had an interview last year for the better paid one, unfortunately I didn't get it. I accepted a short term contract at my current school later in the school year and just before the end of the school year I was offered a job at the school who had turned me down the first time. I wanted to stick to my word so am working at the school I signed up to, knowing the contract would finish in June.

I have had contact with the school I would really like to be at and have been offered a job on the condition that a teacher who has told them they are intending to leave hands in their notice officially. I will find out just before Easter so fingers crossed.

I am just trying to think of a back up plan in case I don't hear from the school I'd really like to be at. Financially we are better off back in the UK, even after helping to pay off the ridiculous amount the Olympics are costing.

I will definitely work until my contract is up in June but if I stay another year at this school we won't be able to afford to make the most of what the country has to offer, even to go out a couple of times a month. That's why plan B is to move back to London but I'm aware that after threshold I am expensive so was wanting some advice about whether it would be possible to get a job in London. I will wait until after Easter to start applying for jobs as am really hoping to hear from the other school first.
    Many thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.