1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How did your first taught lesson go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Findlotte, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Today, I delivered my first pre-planned lesson to a Y10 mixed ability Geography class as a CS. The class were loud and chatty and 80% completed all of the tasks asked of them.
    I lost track of time and they left slightly late but all-in-all, for my first lesson it went okay - there were no riots, behaviour was managed enough and majority completed the work.

I initially left the class feeling demoralised that I'd done an awful job and doubted my ability for my PGCE next year.

So, how did your first lesson go? good/bad?
    What advice would you give your younger self at the start of your teaching career?

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The one thing being a CS will teach you is behaviour management. However you will also learn to be incredibly flexible and adaptable as you have to fill time where there isn't enough work set (or maybe sometimes none at all), in every subject.

Quitoon likes this.
  3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

My first paid lesson was dull and safe.
    After a few years of supply at a rough inner-city school where staff absenteeism was frequent and work seldom left, I used to pride myself on never being caught without work for the kids or without a clue what they should be doing. I used to actually quite like winging it.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My first lesson as a Supply Teacher, after 30+ years of full-time teaching, went like this:

Me: "Good morning everyone, my name is Mr MSB and I'll be your teacher for this lesson" [writes name on board]
    Class (as one): "You're not supposed to write on the interactive whiteboard sir".

5. Findlotte

Yes, I had my first taste of improvising this afternoon.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

The first time I wrote on the blackboard made me realise I should have practised more writing with chalk. :oops:

By the time the blackboard was removed and replaced by a white board my handwriting with chalk was beautiful, but then I had to learn how to write neatly with marker pens - another skill.

Quitoon and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

And then learn to write on an interactive whiteboard - which I hate as I always forget I can't rest my hand on the screen.

Lara mfl 05 and marlin like this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Yep! :)

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I can't even remember my first lesson. I remember the need to have them planned and scripted to the minute, although I would often forget the plan when I got started!

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't remember it... oh dear...

I seem to recall I found being in the classroom easier than I expected... but that the hops were getting ever higher from people outside the classroom. But first lesson? ... no don't remember it.

But well done @Quitoon

Quitoon likes this.
  11. Findlotte

I think that's the problem with being a CS - I have no say in the lesson, I just deliver what given to me. All experience for next year...

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think that's quite good in a way - gives you a better sense of what works and what doesn't for when you do plan your own!

13. Findlotte

Good point - I didn't think of it like that!

14. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I also don't remember my first lesson - how odd is that. However, I do remember being absolutely terrified of not having enough tasks. The idea of unplanned time frightened me. I thought about that this morning as I was busy writing instructions on the board while the students chatted about the lesson before. Does the confidence come with age or with experience? I also remember the exact moment when I realised that classes cannot be 'controlled' and that all I could do was try and get them onside. It changed my teaching completely.

15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I don't remember my first ever lesson when training, but I do my first lesson with my first proper class in my first job. I was reading a big book to a class of 17 very cute reception children and thinking, they are all mine and I love it. When I heard that the NQT the previous year was found in her stock cupboard at dinner time in tears, I just couldn't understand it. Roll forwards a few years and how things changed. I became the one in tears in the stock cupboard. If things in education had stayed the same as they were in the early 90s, I would still be teaching now. I was left to teach how I wanted and taught so creatively. I also think the kids made more progress.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I used to wonder when the kids would twig that the only thing keeping them in the classroom was their belief that I had some control over them. I knew, even if they didn't, that if any or all of them just decided to get up and walk out, there wasn't a thing I could do to make them stay. Just persuasion and the illusion of authority and power.

midnight_angel and Noja like this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

In the first class of my own when I took the register the first name was of a beautiful 7 year old person with a top knot covered with a hankie. i didn't know if I was calling a girl or boys name. i had trained in Yorkshire and taught plenty of Muslim children and but this was Coventry with a large Sikh community and i just didn't know that was how Sikh boys did their hair.
    I sometimes drive past a business with this name and I do wonder if it is the same boy. He'd be 50 now.

I just didn't have a clue :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Years ago, because of a room change, I taught in a classroom equipped with a whiteboard: our labs still had roller blackboards Inadvertently, I wrote all over this white board with a permanent marker. I had an inkling of what I had done when it didn't wipe off. Was I unpopular!

19. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

I think I've written my first year out of my mind.
    I hope the kids learnt something and I didn't let them down. Letting someone new and inexperienced is a big thing for kids.

midnight_angel likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Looking back- this was pretty much me @lindenlea ! :oops:

lindenlea likes this.