1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How did you manage it?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thethiefoftime, Jan 26, 2016.

1. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

To all the lucky people who have managed to (or are about to) escape teaching,

How did you manage it?

I know that actually suggesting alternative careers to me is difficult when you don't know me, but I would appreciate any advice on the steps (big or small) you made to make the transition as smooth as possible.

I know that saving up some money to fall back on is a good start (I'm working on this) but do you have any other tips please?

Even just sharing the story of your transition and where you went to would be a big help.

Thank you!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I took early retirement. :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Haven't left yet but have made the decision. I will leave teaching at the end of the academic year.Going to work with Mr JessicaRabbit; he has his own business. Something I should have done a long time ago. I will help him with accounts & book-keeping, marketing and paper work, dealing with suppliers.

Steps so far (baby steps but they keep me sane!):
    Put together a plan to save a set amount and stick to it.
    Learn accounts - spending time with an accountant friend to learn the basics
    Look at developing a website
    Start learning to stop doing some of the pointless tasks associated with teaching to free up some time. This is proving hard because it is so ingrained in me to be flat out every evening and weekend, but it is important to start letting go and focusing on the future rather than the present.

My eldest son is currently looking at careers and has used this website:

www.fasttomato.com

to help with possible careers choices. I don't know if it's entirely suitable as I think it's aimed at 13-19 year olds supposedly, but I took a look at it with him and found it really informative; you can fill out a questionnaire based on your interests, strengths etc and it suggests careers and gives a lot of info on salary, qualifications etc.

I don't know if any of this is any help, but wish you - and all those of us escaping - good luck

thethiefoftime likes this.
  4. thethiefoftime

Wish that was an option but I'm still in my early 30s :(

5. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

I left after Christmas and am tutoring now. Started last week with 1, have two students this week and will have 4 next week. This might be an option if you teach a core subject?
    I'm also doing a bit of consultancy and have got a few hours in university. I don't ergert my decisief at all, my health has improved no end... I'm thinking about supply but for the moment were still managing financially. It helps if you're not the main earner. Good luck!

6. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

Sorry, I ment to say I don't regret my decision at all.
    I've also set myself up as a limited company, very easy to do and all the info is on companies house website.

7. thethiefoftime

8. thethiefoftime

Thank you, @Veerwal Do you mind telling me what you do at the university? And how did you advertise yourself as a tutor?

9. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

I didn't escape teaching I escaped the UK system and went abroad. Best thing I could have done.

joannagb likes this.
  10. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

I have got a very good working relationship with the person who runs the PGCE course since I have taken on loads of his students over the years. I just emailed him I was available and now teach some sessions on the days the PGCE students are back in.
    For the tutoring, I made some leaflets, but to be honest the work I'm getting already is just by word of mouth. There is an active tutoring forum here on TEs as well so you might get some more ideas if you read through the older posts there?

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Tutoring can be good, but is seasonal and hit and miss. You are limited in the hours you can do it so income is necessarily restricted.
    I was fortunate that I had reached early retirement age, and that the Government had introduced inflation weighted career average pensions.
    I'm beginning to think that entrants to teaching need to have their exit plan ready from the start.

Lara mfl 05 and thethiefoftime like this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I agree. I coped by carving out a new subject at A level and working part time just teaching that. However I made sure I had a full pension by buying extra years, harder to do now. If you have hobby you could develop that or, just get a low level office job and see how quickly you get promoted, as did a pal.

13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

After about two years of looking I was offered a job working for a friend who has his own consultancy.

Working from home in a field that has nothing to do with education but enjoying it immensely. In many ways I am even more annoyed about the treatment of teachers now that I have seen the other side.

14. lars

lars New commenter

I read a marvellous book called Leaving Teaching by Clare Edwards.
    It takes you step-by-step through some activities to help with decision making and planning. Also has masses of anecdotes.

Ultimately I am staying for the time being - I can't afford to leave yet - but it has helped me make some changes to the way I work to make it more bearable.

Can also vouch for fasttomato.com - yes, aimed at teens but very good for grown ups too!

15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I created a series of spreadsheets, firstly of my outgoings which I then went through with a fine toothcomb changing suppliers and reducing my bills by hundreds of pounds. Followed this up with one containing various versions of my budget from 'comfortable' to fairly frugal. This gave me a realistic idea of what I could live on. I also included one with my savings etc.

Then I created a list, also in a spreadsheet, of every way I thought I could earn money without taking on a full-time job, with estimates of what I could potentially earn.

I left my job in the summer and am still de-stressing from a situation I had found intolerable for quite some time.

In the past I have been to a careers advice company who carried out aptitude and psychological tests, as well as a thorough review of what you did in the past, what you enjoyed etc etc. At the time I found it extremely useful in identifying what else I could do and it did lead me to make a significant change.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I went overseas to a private school, no OFSTED and no endless requests for irrelevant paperwork.12 in class, few behavioural issues and I am allowed to ...wait for it.....teach. I could never, ever - work full time in the UK again.

17. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I went into Network Marketing, which has lots of crossover with teaching skills. It's pretty straightforward and we have several former teachers working in our team. Lots of really important things to think about when you consider it, and there are pitfalls around that you should be really careful to avoid - lots of advice online in general about them. There's a lot of negative press about network marketing, but it really does have to depend on how you go about it, people sometimes think that it's an easy option - it's certainly not, hard work and intelligence are required - if you treat it like a hobby then it costs you money, if you treat it like a business then you should expect to make at least a decent living from it.

One real benefit is that you can start it before you finish teaching, 2 people I'm working with at the moment are building their own business alongside teaching so that they don't have an income gap when they stop teaching. The only negative side of this is that they don't have as much time to dedicate to their planning and marking etc while they're winding down - but as they've already resigned there seems to be less pressure anyway, although I'm sure that's not always the case.

I'm loving it, and doing really well, but I would urge extreme caution when selecting a company and a team to work with - delve deep, if you like what you find it can be great. Good luck!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i was 'retired by an agency after a number of years as supply for them. i was heading for 70 mind you but loved teaching. In the past I have left teaching and took up an old career in Landscaping which I had undertook before I trained as a teacher. The returned to teaching and ran teaching and building work in tandem.Then again i don't see all folks can do this.However, hope you find the way for you.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Exactly the advice I give to any students. I say,'If you want to teach give it a go. We desperately need teachers who are enthusiastic. BUT plan on doing it for a maximum of 10-12 years (Maybe even less now?). Leave before you are burnt out like so many and start planning your exit strategy well in advance.'

20. badpower

badpower Occasional commenter

It's a shame that more and more of us are looking for the exit.