1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How did you get to be SENCO?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BrainJim, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Did you have any particular qualification or experience?
    Thanks

2. Did you have any particular qualification or experience?
    Thanks

3. No qualifications or experience for me.
    Just a rethink on how SEN provision would be organised and the role of the SENCo changed from delivering it to co-ordinating it. Previous SENCo moved on and I was offered the role.

4. I'm not yet senco but I told my headteacher that was what I want to do in my Performance Management review. He was really supportive and explained you now have to do a National Award and I can investigate how to get on the course next academic year, but he didn't think it was difficult. I honestly thought he would laugh at me because I have only been teaching for 5 years but he felt I had enough experience as I have had some very challenging classes. I'm going to be focusing on IEP and sen group work next year around my maternity leave and hopefully go for the award sooner rather than later. From what I've read though the award is funded for this coming year for people already in the role or new to the role so not sure where I stand as I'm still a class teacher.

I'll be interested to see what other replies you get. Good Luck

5. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

Expressed my interest and got the position when new head arrived. Started the Senco course in Feb '11.

6. Is there any reading etc I can do before I apply for a course?

7. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

Really depends on your course provider becaus they are all slightly different in their approach.There are quite alot of academic papers online to do with inclusion which may be worth looking at, aswell as COP and Removing Barriers . Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

8. As HT of a small independent SEN school I would say that apart from qualifications and experience there is a very important mindset that successful SENCos need to have. You need to make a real effort to understand the nature of the children that come under your particular remit. You must make sure that any statemented (and non-statemented) requirements are not only communicated to staff but also acted upon by them. You have to be the champion of these children. Managing parents expectations diplomatically and sensitively and being ready with the tissues and a friendly shoulder are central to the role. Too many SENCos approach the job as a box ticking exercise and it isn't

9. Waka6

Waka6 New commenter

Thank you for this advice. I, too, will be new to the role in September. I have already started assisting at meetings with the current SENCo, who is being a brick prior to her retirement. Like Angelic, I have only been teaching for relatively short time, 6 years secondary. But have been TA and have experience of SEN, as a former TA, current teacher and also parent. I guess my biggest challenge will be with staff and any recommendations I make. I am concerned that I won't be taken seriously since all SMT have been at the school much longer than me and in some cases nearly 2 decades - much more experienced than me. I am very aware of the changes and what I have to do before September and will work hard. If you have any advice as a HT, I'd be grateful.

10. Waka6

Waka6 New commenter

6 years experience as a teacher and a passion for SEN children. The job came up at the school and I applied. I'm not starting the award until the second year, after I've experienced the new role and my feet are under the table

11. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I had 10 years experience in a Special School during the middle of my career. Then went back to Mainstream and after the Head of that school retired I took over from her as SENCo. Been doing it for 14 years now. Its a role that takes a several years to develop.

12. I was a science teacher for 6 years and gave up teaching when I had children but went back on supply 2 days a week because I missed school so much. I drifted into SEN from there, did a 1 year Dyslexia course, and got the job when the SENCO left. I did a course similar to the award but it took me a few years to develop the role. I admire anyone like Waka who goes for it as a career choice.

13. I start the role officially in September. I knew the position would come up so last year I applied for the National SENCO award (funded) and completed and passed in April this year.

14. That's the best way to do it, ShyTea. I wish I had had more knowledge of the role prior to taking it up.

15. I had no special education but our sity is quite small and my school could not find any better fir for this role.