1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How did you find the listening exam?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by parisgirl, May 16, 2011.

1. We have just done edexcel - and my girls thought it was difficult. They are a great set and have all been getting As and Bs on practise papers - but having glanced at the papers, I don't think they've done so well.

2. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

Our experience with OCR has been very much the same as yours with Edexcel, I think. I have a feeling boundaries are going to have to be lowered.

3. Our classes found it hard too. Much harder than the sample and 2010 paper

4. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

AQA one didn't seem too bad - but I bet my pupils fell into all the traps - the last question was particularly tricky!
    MM

5. Our boys thought the same and the CD has a buzz on it halfway through...

6. I feel the AQA qas much harder than the sample and January papers. Reaction of my students was on the whole rather negative. I agree that the last question was very tricky.

7. marmot.morveux

I kept on warning my pupils that the AQA sample and the 2010 short course one were likely to be easier than the actual one - hopefully for them to do some valuable revision! [​IMG]

8. My pupils, who sat the AQA higher listening paper today, also found it much harder than recent papers. They were very depressed and I overheard two of them worrying about their ability to do A level.

9. I've just done both the AQA foundation and higher this evening for myself and can honestly say I thought the higher was a stinker. Obscure vocabulary totally out of context so the students couldn't even make logical guesses. I have spent two years reassuring my students they can do well and then this is what they are given to do. So much harder than last year's or the specimen paper. As for recruitment to A level, well I think that may be really difficult now. It's already difficult to get students to do languages for GCSE (only 13 students in year 11) and then the papers are like that. I don't know where to start lifting their spirits for the reading. So disappointed.

10. I agree the AQA higher paper was much more difficult than the specimens and some of the vocab was very obscure and poorly pronounced, the question about the battery powered table lamps for example. My students were also very demoralised by this paper. I felt so sorry for them.

11. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

If today's AQA paper is harder than the specimen and last year's that would be a pity. It cannot be that hard to maintain a similar standard. AQA should be able to pre-test papers or individual questions as Asset do. This would ensure more consistency and allow them to ditch poor questions. Do they do this? Anyone from AQA?
    It's all very well adjusting raw marks/UMS year on year, but hard papers can put students off.

12. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Can anyone post some examples of the "hard bits", or obscure vocab, for the benefit of those of us who havent seen (heard) the paper?

13. My students also found the Edexel higher hard - mine too have been achieving As and Bs in practise. I felt quite :( today. The last question was very challenging too. I too think they have probably not done so well.

14. AQA Foundation was easy, Higher hard. My pupils are very demoralised.
    However, from a personal point of view, as the January papers were so much easier, I may consider early entry next year.

15. marmot.morveux

The part I thought was a bit mean was when the women was talking about people she didn't get on well with - it twisted your brain in knots, and that was before you'd translated the French!
    MM

16. smicer07

smicer07 New commenter

WJEC was hard too. Some really badly worded English questions aswell, which doesn't help matters. Already spotted 2 mistakes on the reading paper and a couple of the listening questions were a bit ambiguous.

17. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I haven't listenend to it but having read the transcripts of the AQA papers today, I didn't think it was as bad as I was fearing from reading earlier comments. Looked fairly similar to previous papers, with a few tricky items of vocabulary (incendie, propre, a few others I can't remember). Overall I'm hoping it will average itself out and that the kids who deserve an A* will get it, etc. Foundation also looked ok, again with a few tricky questions but not too many traps - I like that when there is a trap, all three items are mentionned, i.e. if there is an option a, b and c then all three are mentionned, not just a and b, and then students have to really listen to realise which ones are mentionned in the negative. Doubt very much that my students will see it that way though, or that they will have remembered anything about exams skills we've been hammering in since March!