1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How did they get our data?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by crabapple99, Dec 2, 2011.

1. My daughter had a minor accidnet playing netball at school two weeks ago,and was taken to casualty where she had a broken finger taped up and three stitches.
    Since then she has had three texts from a compensatin soliciter offering to take her case on.
    We didn't contact any insurance company or legal advisor, as far as we know we spoke to no one except family, the school and the hospital about this, and gave no one my daughters mobile phone number, so how did a solicitor end up with details of the accident, and my daughtes mobile number?

2. I get these- it's probably got nothing to do with the accident and is mere coincidence of timing. They mass send the texts in the hope some poor mug will fall for it

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I
    don't belive this is the case. We switched from BT at the beginning of
    the year and a long spell of beig free from nuisance calls and emails
    until ww started ordering things online.
    There isn't day that
    passes now without spam emails to our new email address and occasional
    calls toour new landlne number despite being registerred with the TPS.
    Your privacy is reached the noment you pass on your contact details.
    A
    couple of years ago I was persueded to join Facebook. The following
    day it seems it had ransacked my email contacts list to find other
    people I might chose to be friends with.THere is no other way that
    Facebook would have known I knew these people.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hope your daughter's okay, crabby. For what it's worth, I don't believe it was coincidence either.
    Reminds me of this time last year when we had our integral garage converted to a room. Suddenly there were all these letters from builders coming through the door offering to take on the work! They must have gotten hold of our details when our builder applied for council permission for the conversion.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There are people who are paid to trawl Facebook looking for changes in social trends, buying habits, and for marketing opportunities. Did you mention the incident on Facebook?

6. No, we aren't on facebook.I would like to thinki it was coincidence, but I'm not sure.
    Do you think we should let the school know?

yes thanks, the hand is much better now, the accident itself wasn't a serious worry, just one of those things, nasty and painful at the time, but soon recovered from, and certainly not something we would seek compensation for!

7. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

This happened to me when my son had an accident and went to casualty.
    My OH reckons that A&E sell details to these solicitors and it is common practice.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not quite, the process is automated and huge amounts of data sorted and sold by Facebook. This huge 'data mining' business is one of the reasons that Facebook routinely uses 'updates' to change user privacy settings to maximum share and show. If you care about privacy don't use facebook.

9. Sometimes the box to tick to say you do not want to be contacted is in very tiny writing. I didn't think it was legal for anyone to pass on your details without permission, though sometimes the tiny writing says they will pass on details unless you specifically tell them not to.