1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How could your school have helped you more?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by BlueHue, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

My head has asked me to look at planning a primary NQT induction programme beyond what is usually offered. We will have 4 NQTs and a school we're linked with have 5 starting in September so I really want to make what I plan as meaningful and as helpful as possible for our 9 new colleagues.

I thought who better to ask for advice on this than those of you nearing the end of your NQT year! So, my question is what did you find most useful in your training this year and what do you wish you had been given more help with earlier in the year? From my experience, for example, I wished someone had given me more help with phonics as it wasn't covered in any practical way during my teacher training.

Many thanks.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Someone mentioned levelling/marking the other day (not sure which forum) I don't think most PGCE's seem to go into this in too much depth so that could be helpful?
    I think it would be helpful to give advice on work life balance - how to make some things easier where to dedicate times as I'm sure its quite daunting and alot on NQTs seem to struggle with this (I know I did)
    Behaviour management
    I'll might think of more but I'm sure you'll get better info from primary people (I'm secondary) x

3. Hi

I'm secondary also but what I would have really appreciated would have been if the school could have handed me a folder with all of the schools documents and policies in so I didn't have to trapse around trying to hunt them down to try and implement them! At least then I could dip in and out of it as I need it. Also how to access IEPs and the needs of specific students I.e this dyslexic student works best on yellow paper etc. Simple information that really makes a difference to student and teacher.

Good luck :)

4. Thank you so much for taking the time reply. It is really helpful to get current views. I don't want to beg (so undignified!) but please add an idea if you have a moment. Thanks x