1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How could I improve my video tutorials on Chunking and the Grid Method? Please complete the survey.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kim67ed, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am a Maths student from the
    University of Bath and am undertaking a Primary PGCE
    next year. As part of a university project I have made two videos on Chunking (for division) and the Grid Method (for multiplication). The videos are aimed at either struggling children or parents who want to help their children with homework.

Please could you help me out by watching the short videos and filling out the quick surveys?
    Chunking video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4h76R99_Q

Chunking survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DK3CJLJ

Grid Method video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLf6sQLa40

Grid Method survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D8BFVSK

IF YOU WATCH THE VIDEOS PLEASE
    COMPLETE THE SURVEYS! I really need to know how to improve for my
    report.

Thank you so much for your help

2. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Hi
    Ive just watch the grid method and thought Id add a quick comment. I do get very particular about teaching of maths and personally feel you should never talk about adding zero's as mathematically this is not correct and will not work when moving onto decimals
    so 20 x 30 is not
    2 x 3 and add 2 zeros
    To make it easier I do 2 x 3 with the children , but we will have discussed that we have made each number 10 times smaller and so after we need to make it 10 times bigger twice. To make a number 10 times bigger we move the digits left once
    so
    2 x 3 = 6
    move the 6 left twice (x10 , x10)
    Hope this makes sense, its harder to write it in words than to demonstrate it.
    SOrry if this sounds picky I just think we can confuse children later in life if we tell them to add zeros

3. I have just watched your chunking video and these are a couple of observations I made.
    I am a year 5 teacher and I have filled in the survey.
    If I was showing this to my year 5 children I would like an example with remainders. What if they were dividing by 6 and the last number at the bottom was 5? You need to tell them to stop any errors or confusion.

Some of your language was slightly wrong too - you spoke about a 'subtraction sum,' when the word sum only applies to addition.

Also I think that for a calculation of a 3 digit number divided by a 1 digit number chunking is a little laboured. There are a large number of processes to make mistakes on.
    I would like children to use compact/busstop method when dividing a 3 digit by a 1 digit number for example 114 divided by 3.

overall 8 out of 10 :)

4. When completing the first calculation you said 'do 1 x 2 and add the zeros' this is not how we would teach it in school. It is a misconception to times things by 10 and 100 and just add zeros. I would tell the children that we know to move the 20 1 column to the left to make 200;
    I think your second calculation was too advanced for grid method. In primary schools we only go up to 1 digit x 3 digit in grid method after that we use standard or traditional method, the whole process becomes complicated and there are lots of processes in which to make errors.
    When you were adding up the totals in the boxes you went from the largest number to smallest number, this leaves room for children to miss one out, so I would say add them up across the columns - ie 14400 + 5760 + 288 = 20448

I would do this on the simpler example too adding 210 to 84 - which is easier to compute in column addition.

If you still want to put all 6 of the numbers in the column addition I would say work across or down each row or column as there is less chance of missing one out.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

As well as agreeing with all the comments before -
    Is anybody else bothered by the crossed through 7?
    The example that comes up on the board has a 'proper' 7, but both students used a crossed through figure.
    Personally, I would never write <strike>7</strike> - I would always use 7.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I was just about to write the same comments as above. I don't like the crossed 7 either. I have a couple of pupils that do it and I'm always trying to discourage them.
    I hope this student is a bit more dynamic in real life teaching

7. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

May I ask why? I'm genuinely curious. I was taught to write 7 during my first 5 years of primary school, but changed in my last year where the crossed through 7 was the norm (mostly because the French teacher enforced it so much!)
    It's now become such a habit for me to cross through my 7s that they feel incomplete when I don't! I've never minded which the children in my class wrote though.
    To the OP - totally agree with the adding zeros comments. Please don't get children into this habit - multiplying decimals becomes a nightmare!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Well I was always taught to write seven as 7 and only ever saw <strike>7</strike> in French. So to my mind it is a continental way of writing the number - most likely because of the way they write their number 1.