1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How confident are you lot of getting a job?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by stuart dann, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I trained in 2005-06 and I remember everyone on the course being pretty positive about getting a job, it wasn't a case of "gosh, it's hard out there", it was a matter of "yep, there are plenty of jobs and I can choose".

I'm interested in what the current sentiment is out there. What statistics are you aware of? What is the general mood of the college lecturers on this? How do you feel personally? Things have changed a lot in the job market in the last 5 or so years and I'd be interested in hearing your takes on it

Best of luck, Stu

2. Not that confident. I think that before I sent my application off, I was perhaps a little optimistic. Now I'm worried quite a lot - especially with Primary teaching - hearing how many people applying for one job.

3. Well....my opinion only here......It would be naïve to not seriously consider the job prospects. Obviously, at the moment, it’s not good. (Although to be honest, there don’t seem to be jobs in any sector at the moment!) I’m in a position where I don’t have a mortgage, children or similar responsibilities and I have thought seriously about what I would be prepared to do (e.g supply, age range, relocation) I have taken a lot of time to decide that primary teaching is what I want to do with my life, and I can’t give up. I know that I will love it. I don’t want to look back and regret not giving it a go. If I can’t get a teaching job, then of course I’ll be devastated, but the world won’t end. Who knows what the future will bring. I have read previous posts by yourself and I appreciate the advice that you're giving about job prospects but like I say, I just can’t not try. I think it’s about 50% of people that come out with a permanent job, so I’m prepared to put everything I can into my PGCE (if I get in) to be in that top 50%!

4. Bump to the top.

5. I've always known that it's a competitive field but I've never let it put me off, I've known for the past 6 years that this is the only career for me and I have worked darn hard to gain my degree whilst working full time and raising a family in order to reach my goal.
    In any sector there will be lots of applicants for the job, and some people have to apply for 50 jobs before they even get an interview, others will apply for 1, get the interview and get the job!
    I'm hoping of course that there will be more jobs by the time I qualify (I will be in the Sept 2011 cohort of trainee teachers - if the funding is there!) and that I will be one of the lucky ones!
    If not I will do whatever needs doing until the job comes along.
    Unfortunately I will not be able to relocate for at least 4 years as my children are and will be in the middle of GCSE's and A-Levels and I would not want to uproot them at that point, once they've gone off to uni, who knows? I may even look into working abroad!

6. To be honest, this is a topic that should have been covered in Cert Ed curriculum - Getting a Job in Education.
    This is an essential subject and too much time was wasted on theory and evaluation.
    When I finished my Cert Ed, that was it!, no advice, no networking, just a diploma in the post months later saying I had passed.

7. With the recent funding announcements I think the job prospects of those hoping to start training this September just improved significantly. Fewer places means fewer competitors being trained, and the abolition of bursaries seems to have lead to a further rash of withdrawals.

8. Only to a very limited extent I think. There are still a huge number of unemployed NQTs and experienced teachers looking for a post, and competition will continue to be tough. Where I live in the North West, there are usually several hundred applicants per vacant post for primary, and the loss of a few hundred NQTs-to-be nationwide will be negligible.

9. Blimey Alec that is a tough gig. "Several hundred per vacant post per primary". I knew the situation was bad, but where did you get that figure from?

10. A quote from a headteacher to me and 5 other applicants during a tour round a north west school.
    "We have had over 100 applicants for this one post, so you have obviously done very well to get here".
    That was a headteacher of a rural north west school, around 20 miles from Manchester city centre.
    Around 100+ applicants seemed to be the norm for many schools last year at least.

11. Personal experience and knowledge. The most I know of is 500 in a school near Preston.

12. Fortunately I'm in the south west and was told by the most reliable of sources that a secondary social sciences post only attracted five applicants. Maybe I'm being arrogant, but I'm confident of finding a post when I qualify. I wouldn't waste a year of my time if I wasn't.

13. I would be very surprised if there were only 5 applicants for any job in the South West!!
    I work in a secondary school and we get hundreds of enquiries about advertised jobs, around 30-80+ applicants per job and then they interview approx 6-12 depending on the job. I don't think we've ever had a teaching job that has had less than 30 applicants but then we are in a well sought after rural area so maybe that's a pull factor.

14. I'm a governor at a school in the south-west - we regularly get over a hundred applications when we advertise a post.

15. Well I was told by the HR Manager so I doubt they were lying.

16. I'm intrigued and this is purely me being nosey now ...... if your school recieves say 100 applications, presumably all (or the vast majority) have QTS. Which elements of the application do you look most closely at to shrink to 5-10 interviewees? Or put another way, which qualities to do you value most?

17. Depends what you mean by the South West - my partner teaches in Dorset and basically no one moves hence any FP positions attract hundreds of applications (even Maths !!).
    Might be different for central Bristol or Swindon though if that's what you mean....

18. Ditto ...... thank you for taking the time to provide your insight.
    I try to take great care with applications, but there are a couple of extra pointers in there to get me to the top of the pile.