1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How confident are you in supporting colleagues struggling with poor mental health

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by spannaintheworks, Oct 30, 2017.

?

Do you feel your school's current response to promoting good staff mental health is fit for purpose?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2017.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Somewhat

42.9%
  3. No

28.6%
  4. We're working on it

28.6%
  1. spannaintheworks

spannaintheworks New commenter

Hi

I am a former teacher researching how school leaders manage staff who struggle with mental health issues like anxiety and depression.

I would welcome any contributions on how confident you are about this, if you have had any training and personal experiences or examples of good practice. All comments will be treated with total respect and anonymity.

Has anyone had a bad experience and gone on to reflect that some training or support could have produced a much better outcome? Now mental health is receiving some publicity is there less of a stigma attached? Do you have plans to improve awareness of mental health issues and sources of support in your own school?

My own experience of a fairly naïve and unsupportive HT led to me ultimately resigning despite a 7 year + impeccable record but I do know there is some excellent practice out there too. I would love to hear from you...

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is possibly a difference for many people in the answer to the question in your thread title and that in your poll.
    Which are you wanting in terms of comments and contributions?

3. spannaintheworks

spannaintheworks New commenter

Both. I would imagine if you are confident managing colleagues' mental health your school already has a fairly robust set of protocols either already in place or is well on the way towards implementing. There may not actually be a policy as such but you might have quite a supportive culture and open-door policy. All information is helpful at this stage.