1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How common is this?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by David Getling, Feb 18, 2011.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The other day I came across an IB school in a quite desirable, though very out of the way, location.

However, according to the website, for maths they only offered SL, and for the experimental sciences they only offered biology.

This seems a bit outrageous. Since all students have to take maths, and all students have to do three subjects at HL. Likewise, all students have to do an experimental science, and I'm sure there are a lot who would rather do chemistry or physics and might possibly hate, or be much weaker in biology.

I'm a bit surprised that this school has been accredited for IB diploma. Is this kind of thing common in smaller schools, and what do others think?

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The other day I came across an IB school in a quite desirable, though very out of the way, location.

However, according to the website, for maths they only offered SL, and for the experimental sciences they only offered biology.

This seems a bit outrageous. Since all students have to take maths, and all students have to do three subjects at HL. Likewise, all students have to do an experimental science, and I'm sure there are a lot who would rather do chemistry or physics and might possibly hate, or be much weaker in biology.

I'm a bit surprised that this school has been accredited for IB diploma. Is this kind of thing common in smaller schools, and what do others think?

3. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

In part, it's a function of the size, but also, possibly, of how long they've been offering IB. When we started many years ago, we only had one diploma candidate the first year and the rest took certificates. The program grew slowly over the years with more students and more subjects being added as it met with more and more success...