1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can you tell that stitches are ready to be removed?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilachardy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does anybody know?
    I know not all posters are teachers!

2. lilachardy

Does anybody know?
    I know not all posters are teachers!

3. Don't they just dissolve on their own? I thought most stitches were like that these days.

4. lilachardy

These don't, no.

I am having them removed tomorrow, but they just don't feel ready somehow. It doesn't feel healed at all!

I guess the nurse will be able to tell though!

5. Normal healing takes between 7 - 10 days and if the nurse thinks they aren't ready to come out then she may only take out alternate sutures (unless it is a running suture with a bead on either end). Have you looked at the wound? Do there appear to be gaps in it? Sometimes it can appear like this but it is fully healed underneath and the skin edges are not quite neat until the stitches come out. Don't worry, it will be fine.

6. lilachardy

I can't really look at it, it's on the top of my head!

It's individual sutures, 5 or 6 of them.

It just feels very red and new still! Last time, it felt far 'more well' than this time!

7. It probably feels worse than it looks. If there are any gaping bits then she will probably remove alternate sutures and bring you back in another 3 or 4 days to remove the rest. It may be that the wound is quite scabby and once it is cleaned and the sutures removed it will flatten and neaten out a bit.

8. lilachardy

Yup.
    Thanks for your replies, I'm not worried about it, just wondering how they know if it's ready!

9. Oh I see.

I actually feel a bit queasy after reading this!

:O(

10. Dry, tight and itchy means they're ready. Some are ready after five days - in fact I don't think I've ever had any left in longer than that, although my gall-bladder staples were left in for thirteeen days.

Just looked it up:
    Different parts of the body require suture removal at varying times. Common periods of time for removal are these:

Face - 3-5 days

Scalp - 7-10 days

Trunk - 7-10 days

Arms and legs - 10-14 days

Joints - 14 days

11. lilachardy

I read that site too!!

This is my scalp, and it's the 7th day... so...

12. I exopect they have a look and if it doesn't look healed leave it another couple of days?

13. lilachardy

OMG!!

She said that it was about ready, and has removed them.
    I'd been stitched up with wire so strong she was srtuggling to cut through them. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

14. Was it stitches or staples - becuase it was on your head it probably felt a lot worse than it was, because you cannot see them.

How long had they been in there - 5 days is about right for a head wound. Sometimes if it doesn't look healed they just remove alternate sutures - I'm sure it is fine - it will have healed underneath evevn if it still feels a little raw on top.

There is a knack to removing sutures - net everyone has it;(

15. lilachardy

It was stitches, using 00 guage... if that means anything!

They are all out, after 7 days, and it doesn't hurt a bit now!

16. The wound probably felt sore, because the stitches were ready to come out. When they have been in long enough they can start to nip and the wound can feel a bit swollen around them.

17. lilachardy

That sounds about right actually!

18. Yuck yuck yuck!

I HAD to look even though I knew I was going to go all squirmy!!!