1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can you stand out against experienced teachers at interview?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Georgia99, May 21, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have been to two interviews and each time have been beaten by experienced teachers. I made it through the cut after the lesson observations where as some experienced teachers were sent home (so I am grateful for that). But once it came to the actual interview I was pipped to the post both times by more experienced teachers and the feedback for each were along similar lines, that while I was a good candidate, I am at a disadvantage because I haven't got as much experience as the chosen candidate.
    I have another interview next week and there are 7 of us! The PA who phoned told me I was the only trainee in the running and that the other 6 are working teachers.
    Will I ever be picked?! How can I really stand out?

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Although it might not feel like it, you are doing really well. You are gaining experience of the interview procedure and surviving the dreaded lesson obs as well!
    It's very hard to know from job advertisements whether the school are really looking for an NQT or experienced teacher. They usually have a leaning in one direction or the other, but want to keep their options open. This also makes it tricky for experienced teachers (who often have the same problem and are repeatedly passed over in favour of an NQT).
    How can you stand out? Your enthusiasm and positivity about the job are a real advantage, so don't play it cool - be clear about how much you are looking forward to having your own class and let your enthusiasm show. Make sure you have plenty of stories about things you have loved during your placements. NQTs might not have the experience, but they can bring a real injection of enthusiasm to a school and remind the more experienced teachers why they became teachers in the first place.
    I hope you keep trying and I'm sure from your post that you will get a job soon.
    Good luck!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL there are just as many posts from experienced teachers asking why they keep being beaten to jobs by NQTs. Schools just choose whoever comes across best at the time.

Now you have had some experience of interviews, really sit down and think about what you can offer a school and go in confidently. you have already shown you can win over some experienced teachers, so you will win against others.

After 31st May, teachers already in post cannot apply for Sept, so there will be fewer about for you to compete against as well. Someone doing as well as you have so far, will be fine.