1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can you have a whole class discussion...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

... when there are 6 or 7 dominant boys in the class who never shut the hell up?
    Writing reports at the moment and having to say for many of them "Does not always air own opinions in class"
    It's not because they don't want to, it's because they can't get a bloomin word in edgewise!

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

... when there are 6 or 7 dominant boys in the class who never shut the hell up?
    Writing reports at the moment and having to say for many of them "Does not always air own opinions in class"
    It's not because they don't want to, it's because they can't get a bloomin word in edgewise!

3. invincible

invincible New commenter

Have a "no hands up" policy in the classroom. Draw names from a hat or something and then only whoever's name you picked out can speak. Even if they don't have a lot to say, it gives them a chance. I've been doing this with my kids lately and it's working wonders only they have to keep reminding me "no hands up!" as I'm finding it harder to adapt than they are.

4. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Don't have a whole class discussion. Put them in groups and let that lot be in one or two groups. Then they can feed back - one person only per group.

5. Use the tickets in a hat or passing the stick policy.
    It works.
    The passing the stick is very good - you will find the quiet ones passing the stick to the quiet ones.

6. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I did a boy/girl policy - if a boy talks, when he has finished, he nominates a girl to speak next, girl then nominates a boy at infinitum ad nauseum

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I have used the "talking ball" approach - people can only talk if they have the designated ball/pen/puma/whatever

8. Even at 16-19 the speaking ball works well.
    I also use the hand and single finger held up to the loud one. I usually take them aside at some point and make them feel special, I tell them:
    The single finger means wait one minute, I will bring you in whenI can
    The hand means you have contributed so much and so well that I think we should allow others to speak... I'll come back to you if it all goes quiet!

I often need to reinforce both with a verbal "tcha", a short plosive sound that rarely needs 'the look' to back it up!
    A student getting the hand, the tcha and the look usually has the good grace to blush, laugh, stammer and then shut up!
    It's great! The Ofsted man thought it was very funny....

9. Super glue or sellotape. You decide. Alternatively, I am evil enough to give out punnies for talking without permission.