1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can you dispose of old kitchen knives?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HistoryEducator, Feb 18, 2020.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

What is the safest way to dispose of old kitchen knives that are still sharp?

[​IMG]

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

hand them in to the police

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Metal recycling at your local tip (or community amenity site, or whatever your council calls it)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Can they be welded together into a piece of art, like this throne of weapons made from decomissioned guns?
    [​IMG]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Game of Thrones-style

[​IMG]

agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I'm sure we've had this topic a couple of months ago. There was some good suggestions on that thread. Can you give them away to any family members?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Reading this, as we have several large carving / bread etc knives from the in-laws to dispose of we enquired from a local policeman whether we should indeed do this. We have no local police station nearby to physically hand them in.

Anyway he said to enquire first at any local Charity shops if they'd be willing to accept them, or any homeless charities first, but failing that yes police would accept them- but they'd need wrapping up securely on the way to the station- which can only be reached on foot along the High Street.

He also suggested that taking them along to the local metal recycling amenity , which is nearer, might be easier as they in huge bins and amongst all the other metal work would be difficult for any nefarious characters to access them.

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I started another thread on this a couple of months ago.

They are OK to go in your landfill waste bin - well wrapped.

Police advised me to do this.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Wow, that's pretty ignorant coming from a PO, since no Charity Shop will accept knives whatsoever, for at least four legislative reasons. You'd think somebody in the police would at the very least be able to intuit this answer, never mind cite the laws around sale of knives, and resale of such items. Additonally what person working in a charity sop, often somebody of vulnerability, would like to expose themselves to selling an unwrapped sharp object in a retail outlet which is frequently inhabited by chancy chancers anyway? Before that apparent generalisation is leaped on, I say this with knowledge that on the High Street the charity sector is more frequently hit by thieves and break ins than any other.Sadly. Ironically. So how irresponsible to carry sharp knives on a premises which profiles in this way.

If they are good knives-are they yours in the picture? They look really nice- give them to somebody who knows and uses good knives-a local eatery, catering college, butcher, art college, farmer. Or send them to me, a complete foody wizard-ach, hang on, you cannot post them.
    Heck, it's like Batman trying to lose that bomb!

If they are not good knives, bin them.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.