1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can we respond to the Black Lives Matter movement?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mrjhchi, Jun 3, 2020.

1. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

That's good news if true!

2. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

I never "took part" in the swathe of 1 MINUTE SILENCES that turned into a weird version of the "Daily Hate" except it was "The daily 1 minute silence" over the past so many years... I think Grenfell amplified this weird alien-like behaviour of groups of people. I could not understand what benefit it produced so did not practice it.

Now there is the "Bending The Knee" and other Social Genuflection behaviours to alien powers or perhaps a new religion that nobody told me about, that I cannot comprehend and they also come with slogans to our new overlords: "No truth No Peace" or "3 Legs Good, 2 Legs Bad". Again my response is of the utmost consistency: I ignore this strange alien parade because it is incomprehensible to me.

I have my own individual "practices" I taught myself or researched such as:

* If I need to think deeply about something, I sit down on the ground, cross legs and think in silence until I have some sort of useful answer.
    * If I feel angry about something I know from experience bad words in anger FEELS so good yet causes more problems than solves afterwards so I take deep slow breathes and walk away to create distance from the source of anger as a useful action.
    * I try to read and then implement useful sayings such as Marcus Aurelius' meditations or some Buddhist saying from His Holiness The Dalai Lama. An example, from Meditations is the idea of getting up out of the bed in the morning and thinking of positive reasons to do so as opposed to dwelling on the negative reasons not to. This led me to the Japanese concept of Ikigai: What is the reason you get out of bed in the morning? Every morning I find this particular battle one of the hardest but each day I work to improve at it !

As can be seen I have my hands full of my own Trial Of Life and look to sources of inspiration that turn out to be helpful to me. I never found that in the news-media so don't look there.