1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can we reduce heavy workloads, which mean some teachers have 70-hour weeks?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I disagree. How can you plan and resource 22 engaging lessons that ensure students make progress and are supported in 3 hours? Then there’s marking books and running clubs which in my subject are important for the students. It takes me 45 mins to mark 30 books and I have 500 to do each assessment point at least. Then there’s mandatory training like child protection etc. I can’t see how 10% would be enough to give students the bare minimum.

2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Established commenter

Are you paying us all 0.8 to work full time? Or are you simply looking for a reduction in maximum class contact.

BetterNow and phlogiston like this.
  3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Longer hours and more work for less pay. That's the way forward in education today.
    You know it makes sense.

4. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Mrsmumbles, drvs and guinnesspuss like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But they would be expecting you to only be paid 0.8 of your salary!

BetterNow likes this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Oh I’m paying you full time to teach 22 hours a week -across four teaching days and one non teaching day off site. Which day of the week would you like off?
    I think I’m on to a winner. In the first instance, all those .8 teachers will come running to get paid properly again. In the second instance, I’m sure it would be attractive enough to resolve a school's recruitment issues.

Catgirl1964 and BetterNow like this.
  7. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

You need to genuinely reduce the hours and put an absolute limit in place. anything else is just tinkering.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

I remember some 'expert' at a STD session telling us that lesson preparation was as important as lesson delivery and, therefore, should take as long. As @Lalex123 said, how are you supposed to plan at least 22 hours lessons in three hours, as well as marking, admin, etc., etc..?

Lalex123 likes this.
  9. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Established commenter

I'd rather teach 22 hours across 5 days to get a nice balance of teaching time across the day. In many countries 22 hours of class contact (or even less) is considered full time not 0.8.

BetterNow likes this.
  10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

In some countries, 18 hours of contact hours is considered full time.

11. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

That was my contact time when I started teaching.

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Do any of you Maths teachers remember how we were all going to follow the Hungarian method, great results clear teaching methods....
    Then the authorities were told by Hungarian teachers how they required an hour of non contact before each hour of teaching (in their own classroom). Class sizes should be 16-18 maximum.
    Suddenly it all went quiet and the hungarian method was quietly swept under the carpet.

drek, Catgirl1964 and JL48 like this.
  14. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

@ridleyrumpus
    I teach a practical subject - I highlight what they need to do and tick what they have done from the success criteria and then write a level on their folders. If I taught a subject that required me to mark reams of writing it would obviously take me longer. Then again, if I taught English I would only have about 120 books to mark every 4 lessons instead of 500.

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I did an online surveyvtwo days ago all about my views on artificial intelligence...particularly the use of AIs in Schools. In my experience as an online reviewer, they only invite the surveys when a product is well and truly in the pipeline. So really the above debate is smoke and mirrors. This elephant is well and truly in our rooms and has already dropped several large droppings for several years; it’s just that few of us have smelt them yet! Firms like Pearson and other ed techs will install droid bots which do all the increasingly zombietastic administration duties, while very young, gullible, cheap and website-friendly attractive kids (Oh, oops, I’m sorry, ‘teachers’) run around increasingly larger classrooms and make nice to the students, grinning, supporting, smiling...the future will be horrible. America is already way ahead of us, Sadly, tomorrow’s Schools will be soulless places where very few people have subject mastery, confidence or competence. That generation will generally be far less academic as a result, but probably a dab hand at discussing how to build and sell a raft, the plastic pollution crisis and team building. The entire educational landscape of the mid and late 21st century will be dumbed down, automated and dehumanised.until finally, physical teachers become superfluous. The schools have made it so unpleasant to stay in teaching, it’s as if they and this despicable government want traditional teachers trained the old way out and in new careers. The twenty first century PGCE-holding UPS teacher is like a miner in North East England, circa 1986.

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

In my first year of teaching, in 1978, I was timetabled to teach 16 lessons out of 25, although two of those were put aside for off site induction, every fortnight.

thekillers1 likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

I did GTP in 2003, I was given 17 lessons per week with 16 room changes.

Turned up on day 1 and was given X folders with SOW and told to get on with it, wasn't observed at all in anyway for 6 weeks.

Many mistakes were made in those 6 weeks, some I cringe at now but how was I to know? We did get an afternoon training per week.

(Oh and I lived in a cardboard box and got up before I went to bed.)

JL48 and thekillers1 like this.
  18. thekillers1

thekillers1 Established commenter

Hit the nail on the head. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I remember witnessing something very similar happening to GTP students when I was doing my NQT year.

I've had very little time for school-based routes to QTS ever since.

20. get-out-of-teaching

get-out-of-teaching New commenter