1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can Ofsted judge an EYFS lesson to be good/outstanding?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by louisea, Feb 20, 2012.

1. We've been having a lot of training regarding pushing our school from satisfactory to good lately. Our county see us as a 'progress school' and have been really looking closely at our teaching styles and the new Ofsted framework.
    For KS1 & 2 they can achieve this but I'm struggling (and worrying) to see how Ofsted can make a judgement in Reception. I'm getting the message that a good/outsatnding lesson sees most of the children progressing, and learning something new throughout the lesson. But for Reception children this progress can take days..weeks even months.
    I know my children are making progress but how can I show this in one or two single lessons?
    Do I have a LO displayed (as I used to in Y1)? Mini-plenaries don't work in EYFS, so I can't do that.
    This is something I really want to get right.
    Anyone had a recent Ofsted?
    Lou

2. I was wondering the same, will watch this thread with interest!

I have been wondering the same as like you say, we dont 'do' normal lessons. In terms of
    Displaying learning objectives... I might only have one group a day doing the adult activity to meet that objective and then the rest of the class may be undertaking a variety of different objectives!

Is a bit of a mine field... I recently had an observation which went really well and got fab feedback. In terms of grades, they said it was "good" i asked what i could have done to make it better and achieve an outstanding and they said nothing and they said it couldn't be classed as outstanding because "you can't achieve the statements required for an outstandingin Reception".
    That can't be right surely?!

3. I haven't read all this thread, only the original post, so apologies if I'm repeating!
    We were Ofsteded in the 2nd week of this term, under the new framework. I am in Nursery & was judged to be outstanding. I was quite (pleasantly) shocked at the judgement as I thought it would be very difficult to assess in the Nursery setting in the space of 30/45 minutes.
    However, the inspector said that he thought...
    - that I made the best possible use of resources (e.g. it was very cold so I ensured we left ice outside to freeze overnight for the children to 'discover')
    - that my careful use of questioning allowed the children to make excellent progress (there's no way that he could've judged that all the children made excellent progress though!)
    - all the children were very engaged in their play & displayed excellent behaviour
    - the support staff were all actively playing with the children
    - that the environment, although small, was used to the best possible advantage
    Don't know if this will be any help.
    Also,
    - There was a huge focus on reading in school generally. All Early Years & Key Stage One classes were observed teaching a phonics session - even if only for 10 minutes.
    - They didn't look at planning at all.
    - Children were interviewed.
    - I had an interview as EYFS Team leader.
    - 4 subject co-ordinators were interviewed (the Headteacher was able to choose which ones)
    - Lots of safeguarding questions & data thoroughly interogated & questionned with Headteacher & Deputy (& I mean thoroughly!)

Don't come on TES site everyday, but happy to answer any questions you may have.

:)

4. PS. Excuse typos!

5. A good lesson =
    "As a result of teaching that is mainly good, with examples of outstanding teaching, most pupils, including those with SEN are achieving well over time. Teachers have high expectations of all pupils....accurate assessment of pupils prior skills and knowledge to plan effectively and set challenging tasks" - New Ofsted framework
    She obviously must have displayed these qualities.
    Louise

6. I'd also like to know what sort of things they asked the EYFS leader about. I'm the only EYFS teacher so I guess it will be me!

7. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I have never been through an OFSTED as of yet ( although due any moment).
    I am a nursery teacher and was observed by trained OFSTED inspector and other senior leaders, by lesson was graded as outstanding., There was evidene of reading and writing in the room, ALL children were engaged on eitther a focus activity or in continuos provision which was all linked and perposful. Writing anf number focus activity were taking place. Wiritn in paint with fingers, and coutnting out buckets of sand. I would say ensure all activities are interesting to your pupils and they engage and promote independent learning- that was a big positive for us.
    But, may all change when OFSTED arrive and see me ;-(

8. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi
    just had ofsted in january in nursery. Yes I got an outstanding. My lesson is mentioned in the report.
    what did i do to make it outstanding
    i HAVE NO IDEA!
    really....

9. Yohanalicante
    I agree 100% what you say BUT a school local to me last year had many staff dismissed, head replaced and whole governing body replaced because the school was failing. This was a local high school so I know things work differently in KS3/4 but it is very worrying and I know my own school want to do our best for our children and parents.
    Yes, it's a ridiculous game we have to play, jumping through these hoops that they seem to make bigger or smaller but it's a game we have to play whether we like it or not. And I don't want to be the person that lets my school down.
    Louise

10. Thank you - I thought I was being thick but hearing other people agree with me has made me feel much better and like I actually do know what I am doing. I have another observation by her next week and the school advisor : (
    I have done all of the things she advised in my last lesson critique an dhave made sure that I am starting my lesson having not done any previous work on writing lists so she can not say they are repeating (although I will be repeating it later in the week!)
    I will see how I get on with that! If not I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

11. Can I ask u how u introduced the different thinking skills to your children?would be interested to know the sort of thing you did. Thank you and well done!!

12. Hi just reading this post and hoping you can let me know what you lesson was- even send me the plan?? We are due ofsted soon and would be great to know what you did.
    Thanks

13. Dear Cheeky Chops I have an interview on Wednesday in a nursery and am required to do a 10 minute carpet session. Would you mind me seeing your plan for the 'outstanding' thinking skills lesson?

14. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Sorry TEDHUGHES but I have not been on this forum for a while. Have you had your interview? If not I will try and help. I teach in a FS with a mixed class of reception and nursery aged children and although the actual lesson was taught to the reception group It could be modified for nursery. Let me know and have you by any chance attended any courses on thinking skills as our school is an accredited 'Thinking School' so lots going on

15. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

I am so sorry I have only seen your post have not been on here for a while The topic I chose for my children to discuss was 'parties' I began by taking a couple of things out of a gift bag like a wrapped present and a birthday card. ( I love making use of props and always try to make it exciting for the children) then asked the children what they thought we were going to be 'thinking about' I got the answer I was looking for and we sort of brainstormed all they knew about parties. I queried things like party bags pretending I didn't know what they were and a couple of other things like Giants den. We talked about party games and how to play them. I then encouraged them to think about other parties - wedding, christening etc that people have I also referred to my own childhood parties which were obviously totally different to the ones now - money scones and jelly and ice cream. A bit of a late reply sorry

16. nic_walshuk

nic_walshuk New commenter

Could you share it then?

17. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

Our head wants us all to fill in lesson proforma with previous Learning, Learning objectives, lesson outline, Resources, AFL Differentiation and methodology!!!!

Doesn't work in EYFS

AAAARGHHHH!

18. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Is this for all lessons or just lesson observations? Ofsted will not ask for any planning past or present as far as I am aware. The why I tend to get round this kind of thing is say this doesn't quite fit with EYFS so I have tweaked it a little to make it more meaningful for staff. Then give them and EY version. We have different versions of everything, my deputy now comments that EY just has to be different.