1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can NQT's be supported better?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Staffhdr, Jul 3, 2016.

?

You have just finished your NQT year, are you...?

1. Staying in teaching, but moving schools

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Staying in teaching, but moving school

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Leaving the teaching profession

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Staffhdr

Staffhdr New commenter

Hi all NQTs coming to the end of your NQT year,
    I would love some input from you all, I am applying for a role to support NQTs at my school, including supporting retention into year 1 and 2 teaching. I have a number of ideas, but would like to know what has either;
    A) Worked well in your school in supporting you this year
    B) been something you would like to have had this year. What would have made your year easier?

In addition if you are one of the 40% of NQTs leaving teaching after the first year, what are the reasons for your decision, what might have encouraged you to stay in teaching?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

It may have been useful for you to have detailed the ideas that you have come up with and then asked if you had covered some (of the most relevant ) bases ? I suspect NQTs experiences differ enormously. Better still put yourself in the place of an NQT ( you were once I assume ) and come up some non negotiables and desirables. A bit of a role play may help you come up with enough ammunition for your interview. Good Luck.

hasslethehog likes this.
  3. Staffhdr

Staffhdr New commenter

Hi Minnie me,
    I didn't want to pre-empt any answers, which is why up purposefully did not share the ideas I already have. I would like to hear what current day NQTs want in today's educational climate rather than 12 years ago when I trained. I am quite confident for the interview, I just wanted to hear from people to find out what were the most desired support options.
    Thanks for your response.

4. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

I left a couple years ago. Honestly I wasn't supported much but I don't think it would have really made a difference. Too much work for what its worth, I would have done anything to help my students but I refuse to kill myself over it.

Im honestly sorry to be so negative but theres much more wrong than you can fix it makes me sad.

All you can do is help them as much as possible, plan lessons with them, give them advice on behaviour etc but I had that and I still left.

5. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Consistency would be a start.

"Of course, in Primary sometimes things drop off the timetable, so you can use the missed lesson's plan for the next week.... but there should be writing for each foundation subject in the books EVERY week."

"I want you to plan using cross-curricular links. We're going to do a creative curriculum so that it makes more sense to the children... also I've just bought into this music and computing scheme so your lessons plans for those are already done."

I agree with @Apple101 it's just not worth it as a career.