1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I teach an art lesson about life cycles?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 5, 2011.

1. Tomorrow, I am meant to be teaching my year 5 class how to weave plastic bags etc and create clothes from recycled materials. The class teacher is out all day on a course and so I thought I would do the lesson next week instead, so that they can help me and help the children. I need an art/technology lesson to teach for an hour tomorrow afternoon and my idea of making something for a display isn't great. It won't teach them anything. Our science unit is life cycles and they are interested in it. They've made posters in Science already. I'm just desperate for something to do during that hour and am getting really stressed. We've done the life cycle of a caterpillar, mealworm, ladybirds and frogs. They seem pretty keen on the stages. I have nothing to use for the clothes lesson tomorrow because I've always known the teacher will be out and I want to do it next week. What can I do please? Please reply asap. Time is rapidly running out.

2. Tomorrow, I am meant to be teaching my year 5 class how to weave plastic bags etc and create clothes from recycled materials. The class teacher is out all day on a course and so I thought I would do the lesson next week instead, so that they can help me and help the children. I need an art/technology lesson to teach for an hour tomorrow afternoon and my idea of making something for a display isn't great. It won't teach them anything. Our science unit is life cycles and they are interested in it. They've made posters in Science already. I'm just desperate for something to do during that hour and am getting really stressed. We've done the life cycle of a caterpillar, mealworm, ladybirds and frogs. They seem pretty keen on the stages. I have nothing to use for the clothes lesson tomorrow because I've always known the teacher will be out and I want to do it next week. What can I do please? Please reply asap. Time is rapidly running out.

3. Or if it doesn't relate to art in the slightest, what can I do instead please? I really need some advice.

4. A few people have suggested making mobiles on another poster I did, e.g. a mobile to show the life cycle of a caterpillar. I feel like this is just repeating what they already know though and it won't teach them anything I'm sure. I'm so stressed out. Wish I knew someone I can ask in person.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'm intending to do close up sketches/paintings of seed bearing fruit - ie. cut a tomato or an apple in half and draw what you see. They could also do the same for flowering plants - a la Georgia O'Keefe. Helps? Panic not x

6. * another post I mean. Sorry, I'm extremely tired and can't go to bed until I sort this out [​IMG]

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

deeo breaths. It's an art lesson, not a science one.
    Maybe a flip book of a seed growing?

8. I actually have that in my planning for a few weeks time. We haven't started plants yet. Anything I can do in relation to life cycles that would be regarded as an Art lesson in a way please? I can introduce the class to new life cycles but it needs to have an art focus. I'm really tired. Can anyone suggest something please? I'm so stressed and desperately want to get sorted. I'm graduating soon but in three years, I've never taught Art once. I need your advice please.

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

deep, even. I'm off to bed in a mo to worry about Charlie and the Chocolate factory and cricket. Heigh ho!!

10. We haven't done anything seed or plant related yet. Can you think of anything related to life cycles or litter is another topic we're doing at the moment. Can you think of an art lesson I could plan around litter instead please if that would be better?

11. inq

inq

Get them to invent a creature and all of the stages in teh cycle. I've done this with a Y2 class and they came up with some fabulous posters that showed they understood the different stages, they could be done in a variety of medium as it's art.

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

get the children to paint giant pieces of litter. Empty crisp packet, drniks can/bottle, carton etc. REALLY big - maybe link to the Campbrll's soup painting/print - is it by Hockney?? There must be something out there!! Lots of colour mixing - and huge paintings that will make agood display and take up lots of space!! [​IMG]

13. I'm still not sure what to do. I have a feeling it'll be a late night for me, trying to rack my brain . I would stick to my original planning, i.e. techniques for making clothes out of recycled materials but some of the techniques are tricky and I wanted the teacher to be there for it. I don't have the resources and materials here with me otherwise I'd just go ahead with it. I had a pile of clothes etc that I wanted to bring in. Apart from weaving bags there's not much else I'd be able to show them or is there? I don't know what to do.

14. Hi

I'm only a trainee myself so not sure if my idea will be any good.

How about getting the children to make a hotel for their worm, caterpillar etc.

15. Just read your post. I just want something simple and don't have a lot of space for displays. The teacher wasn't in today either otherwise I would've told them what I wanted to do. I don't like the idea of just taking the school's resources and doing things without running it by them first. I deliberately went out and bought e.g. foam and tissue paper hoping I could do something art related with them but like everyone's said, making a bug etc isn't going to teach them anything. I wish I could just go ahead with what I've planned but I have no resources for it. I can't spend a whole lesson weaving plastic bags. [​IMG]