1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can i resign

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by annam86, Nov 20, 2015.

1. annam86

annam86 New commenter

Ever since i started my new post in september i have been desperately unhappy. I was not told that there had been 10 hods in 11 years and numerous members of staff leaving with stress.

After the first term i stepped down as HOD as it was near impossible with 3 frees and a whole new team. The problems have not really been solved i decided today to have a frank chat about leaving. I have already been in hospital and one two sets of antibiotics this term due to stress related illness (having been in perfect health prior to this).

My head will not let me leave before easter now even tho i said i would rather give 3 months notice and leave in feb without having to go off sick. They say if i stay they will take some.pressure off but ive heard all of this before.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that your work life is so stressful that it is impacting on your health. Your health is very precious, you must guard it.

Your Head is correct. That is the next leaving date in most schools.

There is no provision to give 3 months' notice and leave in February, I'm afraid.

Leaving dates and resignation dates

OK, put them to the test.

Write saying that you have decided to stay, subject to pressure being reduced on you in order to safeguard your health. Ask them to list specific measures that will be taken, with dates, to enable you to continue in your job without further endangering your health.

Then if it works, you stay. If it doesn't, then in February you resign for Easter.

I hope it does work for your sake.

Best wishes

3. annam86

annam86 New commenter

Thank so much for your advice!.il give it a go.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon!)

Best wishes