1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How can I provide PPA cover for PE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpthq, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tpthq

tpthq New commenter

Hi all,

After many years of experience I have set up my own business to provide advice, resources and training etc. As part of the business I would like to offer PPA to local schools.

Other than advertising this service on my website and hoping a head teacher comes across it, how can I get into schools? Is there a specific place/way to offer PPA to schools or is it simply a case of calling each individual school and 'selling' my service to them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

PPA is non-contact time, for teachers to do planning, preparation and assessment. All schools already have this. What service are you planning to provide? From your post it is unclear.

3. tpthq

tpthq New commenter

Hi Kartoshka, apologies after reading it back I can see it is a little ambiguous. What I meant is I plan to offer my services to come in and deliver physical literacy and sport during PE time, whilst the teachers are utilising their PPA time.

A lot of companies offer this across the country, I'm just wondering how I manage to get into a school, is there a PPA body I need to go through, or is it just a case of speaking to each individual school?

Thanks

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

You'd have to try and get schools to use you, there's no specific place to go for PPA cover.

5. summlard

summlard New commenter

Schools are struggling with budget at the moment. It would be unlikely many out there would be willing to invest heavily on PE in this way...maybe I'm wrong but I know my school has cut all funding here

6. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I'd think about how you can justify your services in line with the primary sport premium funding. For example, might you be able to offer coaching for other staff as part of your package?

asnac likes this.
  7. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

In my last school ppa was covered by a company that offered sports services but judging from the staff that were sent (usually fairly recently left school teenagers) they weren't paying a lot for the cover!

8. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

You will probably find that most schools who want this sort of provision already have it as there is no shortage of companies offering it. So you need to get a share of the existing market rather than selling this as a new concept. Phone schools and find out if they are satisfied with their external sports coaching provision. If not, tell them why your service is better. And if they are, offer the same provision but for less money.

9. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

It all boils down to money. We did use an outside sports company to cover PPA time but not this year. Tend to use HLTA to cover. There are plenty of individuals, companies, local football, rugby clubs all willing to come into schools for a low cost.